Network+ or MCDST?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nXPLOSi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Afternoon,

I've just had a phone call from the training provider my company booked me with for the Network+, saying not enough people are on it, and its therefore cancelled. :x They have a MCDST course running the same week.

My question is this. Shall I transfer over to that? I've got my A+ already, and am going onto MCSA. So it would mean the path of A+, MCDST, MCSA rather then A+, N+, MCSA. What you guys think? Opinions greatly appreciated!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i guess you have to do the MCDST but cant you do the N+ self-study?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why couldn't you do the N+ after the MCDST? You don't have to take these things in a certain order... :biggrin

Or, as Zim recommended, why not self-study?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Right lets get a little deeper into this, my company has paid for N+ and then MCSA courses, my part was to sign a contract keeping me here. The problem is I had booked the Net+ course on the 24th Sept, then provisionally booked the 70-270 course for 10th December. Now the Net+ is cancelled, the next one I can go on is 10th December, which is putting things back quite abit.

I may be able to substitute the Net+ with MCDST, which I thought may be worth thinking about. The reason I can't really do both at this time is because the MCSA is coming...

Opinions? :(

EDIT: The only other way I thought I could do this would be to see if I can cancel the Net+ and get the money back, and do it self study, then onto the MCSA course. Although I feel like im wasting an opportunity of a paid course? Again not sure what to do.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I prefer self-study over classroom training, so if it were me, I wouldn't be missing the "opportunity of a paid course". But I'm weird like that. :) Can your company get a refund?

I would recommend doing the Net+ before the MCSA for this reason: that knowledge of addressing and networking you get in Net+ will come in SO handy when you're struggling with the rest of the concepts in 70-291.

Sounds like the pressure of a deadline looming has gotten you flustered... and that's yet another reason why I don't like paid courses that are scheduled at someone else's whim. I much prefer studying until I understand the concepts completely, passing the exam, THEN moving on to the next step along the path... taking as long as it takes... no more, no less.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am sure you could self study for the network+. MCDST is also a good cert to have and like what's been said earlier there really is no order in taking the certs.

My opinion would be if you can get back the money like you said, do it through self study. As for MCDST if the company is paying for it then you could take the course, mind you MCDST you can do on your own also.

Anyways good luck on the exams.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.

Michael, your spot on with the deadline looming stuff, at the moment im having a tough time working things out in my head. Its pretty much Net+ self study or MCDST course and then onto the MCSA. Im still unsure of how to go about it all. I guess at the end of the day it is up to me, I will have to have a serious think about it tonight.

At the moment im leaning towards getting the money back, which I should be able to do, and going self study, aiming for a Mid-November finish...