Network Manager / Systems Analyst

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITMatt, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in advice for heading down the managerial/analyst role.

At present, I'm in 2nd/3rd Line Support for a large building society. I've just started my BSc in Information and Communications Technologies through the Open University and I'm also self-studying towards an MCDST > MCSE/CCNA certification.

I have my heart set solely on becoming a Network Manager/Systems Analyst, even if it takes me 20-30 years to accomplish. Is the route I am taking appropriate for this career path and will an OU degree be respected enough to allow me to advance up the ladder?

Preferrably, I'd like to advance within the company I am at - maybe 5+ years in this role to get established.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Matt

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my opinion "yes" and a degree from the OU is respected as much as a degree attained from a traditional Uni.

As for jobs, I don't know what position you are currently at, however you can always ask to job shadow someone at a higher level at regular intervals as part of your yearly apprasials. And if you want to make it to those positions in the same company, in my experience the majority of the time you're studying, training, job shadowing and waiting for those people in those positions to either retire or leave (that may take the 20-30 years you were talking about) :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

To be honest no qualification can get you a management role - I'm a firm believer of the theory that you either have it or you don't when it comes to management!

So...I'm gonna base my reply on the fact that you have those personality traits to become a manager! You've posted here your ambitions so that's a good step!

I would say that your OU degree will help you more then the certs with regards to the intellect side of things. A good academic background is surely a must for any top manager - the ability to express yourself independently and in a concise fashion is what your academic studies should teach you!

But...

I wouldn't say that I'm discounting the certs! They will come in use when those you manage try to bullshit you! And they'll count towards a certain amount of respect too i.e. a manager that knows his trade (or most of his trade lol!!)

I'd start looking for Team Leader roles within your organisations IT dept. Start small and work your way up! Sod Network Manager, IT Director should be your goal! ;)

Keep it up mate...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I agree with the last post...... i am also aiming for that kind of position (IT Manager etc) in the future.

I'd say get your certs and excel as a technical person but also work on you business skills - like you say doing an OU degree.

Try and balance the two if you can...... and go from there!

Get in with your boss - by that i mean look and learn how they function, how they work, how they like things done. Adapt what you do to have a good working relationship with them. This will pay dividends - you might get more training and at worst they put in a good word for you at the next promotion. Be the man that gets things done.

Also volunteer to lead teams in staff absences and such the like.

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Damn it, my plan has been found out!

I've considered the Project Management route - if you're in a company that is a service company (like IBM for example) they will bid clients to support their IT for x years - show you can help get business/bring projects in on time should bring you in what you want.

If you're not in that sort of company/business, the advice above sounds pretty good.

Good thread BTW.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293