network+ book choice

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Dexter, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Ok...so I've decided to go for David Groths Network+ Study Guide for the main backbone of my studying, using the Exam Cram 2 book by Charles brooks to help direct my studying in the later stages to track down areas I need to work on. I plan to read around the subject as much as I can on the Internet too but my question is, before I order are there any books that people have used which they can recommend but which do not get mentioned so much on this forum? I've searched past threads on the topic but these seem to focus mainly on the Groth Vs Meyers debate. Are there any other books I should look out for before finalizing my order?

Cheers :blink

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My PC Technician Street Smarts has gotten a great deal of positive press here at CF (thank you one and all) as a good resource for the A+ exam. I've been wondering if Toby Skandier's Network Administrator Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA Network+ Skills book would be just as useful for those studying for the Network+ exam? Has anyone used it and if so, what did you think?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Morning Trip...

I got both yours and Toby's StreetSmart books and I can confirm they are both excellent reads.

As regards Toby's book, it does look at the standard Network+ material, such as managing access to resources and using IPCONFIG; however, it also takes you through the likes of using a router as a frame relay switch and assigning IP addresses on several devices, including a CISCO 2611XM router.

It is very interesting, and goes over and above what you can expect in the N+ exam, but this is never a bad thing.

I also used Mike Meyers Network+ Passport second edition.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the "mini-review", Giddy. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ and Network+