Problem Network Best Practices

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Sep 15, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I'm about to do a Migration to an SBS2011 box (along with a Terminal Server) from an SBS2003 and TS2003 box.

The set up isn't quite as clear cut as others so I'm after some best practice and suggestions before I start.

They have 3 types of users;

Office users: who sit on a mixture of Windows 7 and XP Machines who use roaming profiles.
    Remote users: who sit in an office connected via VPN on laptops who either use the Terminal Server or their laptops directly over the VPN.
    Laptop users: a few laptop users.

My issue is with the correct profile setups to make all of this as easy as possible to manage. I'm leaning towards Folder Redirection for the Terminal server and Office users, but what about the Laptop users?

Basically in such a confusing set up, what sort of layout would you guys do?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

We use Folder Redirection + Offline Files

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Roaming profiles cause nothing but problems!
    Same can be said about Offline files.

I'd go for local profiles with folder redirection (if needed). For laptop users why not simply create a local folder on the C: drive that the user stores their work to and then have a script that copies everything in that folder back to the network on logon.

westernkings likes this.