netdom

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jef, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jef

jef Bit Poster

Hi there, I'm reading the MSpress 70-290 book, and I'm just having some trouble with netdom...

I'm on the computer accounts part (Chapter 5, page 5, near the bottom), and it's giving me a fairly decent explanation of how to use the command, and I'm trying to enter the following command:

netdom add testDesktop1 /domain:Contoso.com /userd:testAccount /PasswordD:test123 /ou:Desktops

but it keeps spitting out at me:

Unable to update the password, the value provided as the current password is incorrect

The command failed to complete successfully

Thanks,

James.

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776879.aspx

This technet article lists the commands, you are 110% confident that is the right password

you may also have to use domain\testaccount as the username and also be more specific with your ou context

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Does it work if you omit the OU? If it does, it should drop the account into the default computers container. I think I ran into this a while back, but haven't used netdom for yonks - I always use ADMT to migrate

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

from what the error message says I'm wondering if the password you have provided matches your password policy. check what your password policy requires and make sure that it matches or exceeds.

Edit

scrap that, dont you have to put in the ou=blah,dc=blah etc etc to tell it which ou to put it into.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. jef

jef Bit Poster

Hi, thanks.

a) I didn't (And still don't think I realise what the userd and passwordd args are, I thaught they was the username and password for the computer account to use [like a shared secret]), and the OU argument takes the DN.

Thanks alot lads.

6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

To join a computer to the domain be SURE that the computer name you specify is the same with computer name on the client computer, then the user name should be the user account you have already created for that user and of course the password you assigned to the user when you created that user account. You must have already created a user that will use a specific computer account before you can successfully join that computer account to the domain.
    NETDOM is only used to create computer accounts and NEVER for migration of any sort..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? On what basis do you make that empirical (and utterly inaccurate) statement?

8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

From materials that i have read of course the MSpress 70-290 and 70-294 netdom has never been used to perform migration.. In 70-294 you use the netdom computername command to manage the primary and alternate names for a computer, of course thats when you want to rename a DC.. I can post the command if you like... To jusify yours which definitely it does not exist:rolleyes: be kind enough to post me the command so i can run it

9. jef

jef Bit Poster

Thanks lads,

so the userd specifies _an_ account that will be used on the system (to log onto the domain), Does that mean it gives this particular account some higher rights for modifying that computers domain account? Or does it (surely not?) mean that's the only account that can log on to the domain through that computer account?

Cheers, James.

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Proving, once again, that reading books and using braindumps is no subsitute for actually doing the job.

Woo Wooo. All aboard the clue train... next stop is you.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Whaaaaaaaaat??????:blink

Are you taking the pi55? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No - he just doesn't have a clue. In fact, I think its time the mods started doing something about it. By my reckoning he's posted utter, utter tripe on at least three previous posts which, if taken as gospel by someone without that much experience could, at best, leave them a laughing stock amongst their peers if repeated in more knowledgable company or, at worst, be seriously damaging to their job or prospects of passing a certification exam.

So, with the best will in the world, Obinna - please, please stop responding to topics that you don't understand. You could be causing serious problems for future forum readers.

13. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

User account(unique through out the domain) is the acccount that specifies that the user whom that account has been created for can log on to the domain but that does not give it any higher rights for modifying any comptuer domain account and also that does not mean thats the only account that can log on to the domain via that computer account.

The computer account(unique through out the domain) is the account that specifies that the computer the account has been created for can be logged on to by any user so long you have the necessary rights to log onto a domain.

14. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Even if you believe what you're posting, a quick google proves that this is simply not the case... :dry

Click Me

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  15. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I took the liberty...:rolleyes: I bet you didnt go through the links listed, anyway even if you did i dont think you would have been able to grasp anything.. For the benefit of those that will understand if they can. Also this. Maybe some folks just dont understand the technical words "migration".. Quite a shame and really embarassing for people who claim to have been in the field for such a long time..

16. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Can you also take the liberty of proving that you are right instead of arguing back and forth?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  17. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

That's a large chip on your shoulder you have there... Why are you unable to accept that several people have now told you that you are incorrect in what you are saying?...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  18. skulkerboyo

Because it takes a real man to admit when he's wrong

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  19. jef

jef Bit Poster

Sorry to interrupt lads :)

So am I right now, in thinking that the userd and passwordd switched for netdom are to specify which user can join the computer to the domain? And that thereafter any domain user is able to log on?

Much appreciated,
    James.

20. skulkerboyo

Sorry jef but I personally am unable to answer your question and tbh even if i was certain I knew how to guide you I may not through fear of being quoted BS by a braindumping asswipe with major arrogance issues that leave him unable to recognise his own stupidity.

this is a place for people who believe in honest hard work and good old fashioned study. F*ck off somewhere else if thats not your bag

Until certforums puts out its trash I'm off

Someone help jef out lest we lose sight of the face someone needed support here