NetBIOS/computer names

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ok, so a packet leaves the local machine with the name, MAC and LAN address. The router strips this and forwards it across whatever WAN technology is in place and the process is reversed at the other end.
    My question is why do some peoples mail display the computer name (within message source) and others do not.
    I have also noticed when doing a security scan using something like sygate that when using an XP machine it displays the name, when using an Ubuntu based machine it says "we were unable to retrieve your computer name"....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Mail headers are strange things, and need a certain bit of decoding. The info is not 'randomly' in the packet, but in particular header lines, and different mail clients do it differently.

Care to post some examples? (suitably munging restricted info where required).

Depends on what it is trying to get. The Windows name of a machine is a NETBIOS thing (or Win networking). Unix machines don't have such things - their names are usualy held as part of a DNS or equiv entry. On windows the DNS name and NETBIOS name are not always the same.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks Harry. When i get home ill post some outputs...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT