"Net"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i was messing around on my xphome machine this evening, when i discovered that net send is actually a sub command of net.

imagine my surprise when i discovered that it covered so much more than just sending a message to another user. some of the functions i think arent meant to be accessed using xphome, for instance, using net accounts you can set a maximum and minimum length and valid time for account passwords (my system now has a maximum p/word validity of 120 days, am yet to discover if it actually works).

ive also noticed that you can use it to activate and deactivate services on the machine(/network?).

anyway, i was wondering if anyone can tell me some other useful things it can do, or some other CLI commands that are of use to know!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why don't you change it to 2 or 3 days and find out quicker than waiting 4 months.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

net is a very powerful command, you can do plenty with it
    map network drives, view current transfers/sessions, share files,

type 'net' to get a list of commands, then type net <command> /? to get some further usage and learn what you can do with that perticular command

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Fergal1982

thats a good point nugget, lol. i will do just that!

Phoenix. the problem i have in that respect is that it doesnt really tell you a lot about what each of the subcommands does! just the syntax for the command!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. Fergal1982

oooooh. just discovered that you can change the language for a users error msg's with

net user {username} /countrycode: xxx

(with no space between the colon an the number!)

this might actually help someone i know who has an OS in a different language, however, i need to know where an how to find the language files for the OS. even if that means lifting them from another copy of the OS in the desired language (i think the pro edition has them as standard, but the home version of xp doesnt seem to!). any ideas guys?

6. Fergal1982

AND you can set it so certain usernames can only log on at certain times. good for ensuring the kids arent using the computer when they should be in bed, or should be doing homework, lol!

Fergal

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

now isnt all of this available in XP thru the User tabs and the Local security policy anyway? :)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Fergal1982

not in Xphome phoenix. the multi-user capabilities are vastly cut back. everything seems to be able to be done, but its a LOT more difficult to actually do in home, you need to use the command prompt, or edit the registry!

Fergal

10. Fergal1982

thanks trip. i found that eventually on my own tho. also figured out how to pull the manual for the command onscreen!

thanks anyways tho!

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

try things like gpedit.msc at the run prompt, its not always a visable option but the majority of things are still present if hidden away

12. Fergal1982

wasn't found im afraid. it is pretty much the case of working out how to get to what you want when home doesnt supply it readily!

lol

Fergal