Net connection

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by shaggy, May 12, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

whenever i get these problems im always stumped

got a mate ring me today, says his internets stopped working and his computer wont read setup discs for the internet software

its a broadband connection so when i go round there i want to make sure i check everything, i usually run cmd prompt, check ipconfig, maybe release and renew, i check 'Auto detect settings' is ticked in LAN options, obviously check its all plugged in properly, username and password checks, and then usually its still not working so what else do am i missing?

as for the reading of discs im gonna assume its a broken cd drive if its all cd's or maybe a scratched cd

sounds stupid i know haha

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unless it is a USB ADSL modem you don't *need* any setup software!

Release and renew will only work if he has a router and it uses DHCP. With an USB modem all the setup info comes in via PPP.

But ipconfig is certaily something to check.

I would also take a USB drive with a whole lot of virus/trojan detectors. Some of the trojans that get around will hose the TCP/IP stack.

To check the CD drive I often boot MSDOS with a Win98SE boot disk and see if the CDs are readable. This gets round any nasties in Windows. Again, some trojans are known to cause problems with the CD drivers in Windows.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

im not sure what sort of modem hes got, but either way it should still be reading the CD's

and yeah same with the router, not sure if hes got one, will find out on monday

thanks for your help

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Always ask about this. He may not know, and he may give you the wrong answer, but at least you are a bit better prepared!

Also ask which version of Windows it is (if it is Windows that is). But be prepared for answers like "Windows 97". :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

error message? :blink What happens when your mate tries to log on?

Is the ADSL light flashing on the modem? Might suggest a line fault...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Questions:
    1. Which operating system is your mate running?

Questions:
    1. Has your mate paid their most recent internet bill on time?
    2. Does your mate have a legal copy of the operating system installed on their computer?
    3. Was there _any_ changes to the computer's configuration, such as software installation, adware/spyware/malware, or some other kind of unknown computer reconfiguration?
    4. Does your mate have an antivirus/adware/spyware/malware program installed on the computer?
    5. Are all the patches up to date?
    6. What kind of "broadband connection" does your mate have?
    7. Do you have a network cable tester to CERTIFY that the entire cabling channel from the patch cable to the computer through to the demarc meets or exceeds the rating of the cabling, connectors, and the tuned pair of the cabling?
    8. Do you have a loopback device to check the circuitry and wiring for the computer's NIC instead of using a software test like "ping"?

Sometimes, part of the troubleshooting process is that more questions present themselves based on the symptoms and issues you will observe, which is why it's almost impossible to have a "one size fits all troubleshooting list" that you seem to be requesting.

It may sound stupid to you but to your mate it may be a minor nightmare. Do not assume anything unless you personally and physically troubleshot and confirmed the symptoms and issues. Are you really a mate to your mate if you're laughing about their situation "behind their back" by posting about it on this board?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I dont think he is making fun of his mate, more like is it silly to think there is a scratch on the CD. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

take a chill pill, i wasnt laughing at my friend, i was laughing because it seems like a silly question to be asking

anyway, thanks for your advice, all noted