Nested ESX in the Cloud

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by jvanassen, Feb 14, 2015.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I would like to setup a lab to play around with clustering, vcenter, DRS etc. to save me buying any hardware I was wondering if anyone knows of any public cloud providers that will allow you to run a nested ESX setup with a VM.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I don't but that's an interesting question that I suspect you will find can't be done because it is not a supported configuration and might mean you're not paying for as many vms as you should. But happily be proved wrong on this one

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

https://noc.baremetalcloud.com/web.html offer this using the excellent AutoLab software but I would advise playing with your own lab, not only can you break it as you want but it's also a great learning ability to actually install and get hands on.

You don't need much in the way of infrastructure, you can actually get away with running 16GB of ram on a desktop or laptop running VMware Workstation and Autolab to do a complete lab build out.

Autolabs can be found at http://www.labguides.com/

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What Simon said.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the links Simon, that very much looks like what i am looking for. I was looking for a quick win today but I am still weighing up my options at the moment after looking into this some more and seeing other home lab setups. I went from looking at old servers on ebay, to greener environments using NUC's or shuttles to powerful laptops/desktops.

Around 7 years ago i built myself a powerful machine for gaming, ive been tempted to build something new every now and again but always thought in the back of my mind how this system still does the job for me even now for what i now use it for (no time for games) and its been more than capable of running 3/4 VM's for playing around with AD/Exchange. However it now looks like ive found something i want to do which could warrant a new PC build.

I've very much been a jack of all trades within my current sys admin role, however ive been given the go ahead to start putting a proposal together to refresh our virtual but quite physical looking topology within one of our datacenters. With this in mind i have been looking towards multi host clusters, SAN's and all the benefits this can bring.

I already have a pile of switches/routers from my cisco labbing at home however i am very much excited with this new project after already seeing some of the features within virtualisation that i wasn't aware of. Maybe i wont be gearing myself up for such a networking future.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101