Nervous about first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by RewardingPie, Aug 29, 2012.

1. RewardingPie

RewardingPie New Member

Hi guys,

I'm currently job hunting for a 1st Line Support role or similar. I've been to college, got my IT diploma and did my A+ and two MTA's. I currently work in a independent IT repair store and were all close friends so I've not really been in a corporate environment.

But when I think about going to work for the first time I become extremely nervous! Things cross my mind like what if I make a stupid mistake or don't know how to fix something simple? I'm confident in my skills but you never know. What can I expect when I get my first job? No one has really ever explained to me what will happen when I turn up on the first day. Will I get ridiculed for not knowing the answer to problems? Or will I even get fired? Did you guys feel the same? and perhaps give me some advice on what I should do!

Cheers,
    Harry

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCTS
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Firstly, everyone has those same worries when they start work. Secondly, don't worry; It does noone any good.

If you are in first line, just think about things logically and approach things as you normally do. If you are doing things in a computer store now, you are probably coming across a wide range of problems - so why is doing something similar in a corporate environment any different?

Don't forget, if you are first line, there is always someone higher up the ladder you can pass it to, and if there isn't, you have the internet to research things. It's a great tool. You can't be expected to know everything when you start out, so it's all about getting experience.

And that's it. I am out of cliches :D

3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I think you are over thinking. I'm sure everyone feels somewhat nervous in their new job. If you feel like this already, then your mind will be all over the place when it comes to doing the job itself hence more likely to make mistakes. You sound like a competent guy, so I don't think you will have too many problems with 1st line issues.

At the end of the day, one will not know everything and you will make mistakes along the way, it's all about whether you learn from it. Everyone has their stupid and embarrassing moments, I'm sure most in IT have a story to tell.

To echo the above post, Google will be an invaluable tool. Document everything - causes/problems and solutions. Don't sit in silence and be afraid to ask questions just because you don't want your colleagues to think you are incompetent! But look it up first either on the internet or manual if you can :D

Good luck in your job search!

4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Even when your higher up the food chain you will be nervous. Everyone has it. As said above ^ I will say the same things.

My advise, when you get your foot in the door, just ask lots of questions and write what they say down on paper/computer and document. However people will get annoyed if you repeatedly ask them the same things and havent documented it.

If there is a knowledge base use it, use google. Don't make changes without following the correct procedure, test things first. Document everything you do.

Especially in those first line roles - keep your cool. Remain calm, be professional, don't get over friendly with customers or colleagues untill you know them better.

Take critiscm like a man! Treat it as an attack on your business persona and not your personal one. Learn from your mistakes and dont repeat them again.

Have career ambition, study, self develop in work hours and out. Dont stay longer in the job than you have to if things are getting stale and there is no training/career prospects.

Cant think of anything else of the top of my head. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
    Fafster likes this.
  5. RewardingPie

RewardingPie New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, It was all excellent! I guess I'm just over thinking things. I'm going to have to just take the plunge and be confident. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels nervous. One question though, why shouldn't I get friendly with customers & colleagues?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCTS
  6. subliminalsmurf

subliminalsmurf Nibble Poster

From my experience this usually lands you with users who think they can queue jump, disregard process and get personal favours which leads to huffing and puffing when you tell them to follow the rules. Also I've found if you get too friendly with them they think they can dump their personal equipment on you. Trust me, you don't want to end up having people bring their broke-ass 6 year old Celeron piece of trash laptop in for you to "Have a look at" for free and also from my own experience a lot of them, if given an inch, will take the absolute piss.

Don't take this the wrong way though. You should still be nice to them, After all, they might not know how to turn a monitor on but given the chance they will usually complain. I find it's always good to maintain a professional, polite attitude without engaging too much. ;)

Oh, and then there's the flirty users. They're the best. Enjoy those. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    Certifications: MCITP: Windows 7 Desktop Support Technician
    WIP: 70-686 - Started the same day as passing 680