need sugegstion for job of linux kernel debugging in wireless domain

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by sachin, Sep 29, 2008.

1. sachin

sachin New Member

hi,

I am currently working in wireless company as DSP (digital signal processing) RTOS developer where my work mostly includes debugging application in DSP chips and adding some new features in RTOS. mostly i work in assembly language.

i have recently got an opportunity to work in Linux kernel debugging where mostly my work will be related to debugging kernel and user space and trying to figure bugs in kernel/ application. this job is within same company i m working.

i am bit confused. i want to have ur suggestion on this. Being in 3 years on same job i feel to be in comfort zone but here there is not much career growth.

Will it be good decision to change my domain to Linux kernel debugging? is future secured and growth is good? is there good demand of Linux kernel debugging guys?

i will appreciate any of your suggestion for my questions

Thanks
    sachinc

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I no longer work in embedded development, I don't think I can really advise you but I will try.

It sounds like you are getting excellent embedded experience, this is not to be sniffed at, embedded developers are some of the best developers out there.

Only you can decide what is best for your career, its very hard to find mentors and people that can give you good advice in this profession.

Personally I think Linux is a rising star and you could do worse then to jump onto that wagon, surfing the right industry trends can make developing a career a lot easier.

Every extra skill you can aquire is another string to your bow, its probably better to know two RTO's than one.

Many companies take their employees for granted, decide what you want from your career and go and get it, ask for the promotion, apply for the internal transfer, ask for the training course, keep an eye on the job market, network, pick up new skills, do whatever you think is necessary to progress.

Best of Luck ! :D