Need some clarification

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 21, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hmm all that effort for a tiny performance increase. Is it really worth it thinking about the risk. Still the customer is always right, huh.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

So you're not worried about the RAM overvolt slowly frying the integrated memory controller on the i7 ?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What AJ said, I'm just doing what I'm told :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com New Member

There will not be a significant increase in temperature if EIST etc was disabled.
    The CPU just working under its spec. This is not overclocking.

For overclocking CPU, like others do, eg, set the CPU to run at 3.0GB when its spec is just 2.5GB.
    In this instance, extra fans are needed.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

WIP: MCSE A+ MSIS
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm no expert but I would expect peak temperature to be the same but average temps to be lower with speed step on.

greenbrucelee has successfully overclocked his system, he just wanted clarification on one point.

GB != GHz !

Hertz is cycles per second, Giga in this context is 10 pow 9 or 1000000000, Gigabyte takes a different definition of 1024 pow 3 or 2 pow 30, except in some cases for Hard disks. The two terms relate to completely different measurements.

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'd love to run my CPU at GB but my hard drive gets jealous :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. greenbrucelee

yep with my system peak temps are the same but lower average with speedstep on. As for this one I have just built it's a flying machine. After 48 hours burn in running prime95 for 30 hours of it the temp only got to 50c, the cooler I was instructed to fit is very similar to a tuniq tower (the one I have in my system) its a http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...21&name=Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 (Socket LGA1366

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What IO subsystem did he spec ?

9. greenbrucelee

This is the whole spec

Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 (Socket 1366)
    Intel Core i7 965 3.20Ghz
    BFG GeForce GTX 285
    Western Digital VelociRaptorx x 2
    Antec 1200
    Seasonic M12D 850w
    LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Rewriter
    Samsung SM2693HM 26
    Generic keybaord and mouse

10. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Why do people who want systems like that have others build the systems for them? If you want those kinds of specs I imagine you probably know what you are doing inside a case or you have way too much D*** money and need to hold onto it, especially in economic times like these. Although it is good for GBL to make some cash setting up the system, it's just insane to me someone would/could need this much power and not know how to actually do it themselves.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. Qs

It saves time and hassle.

• If anything goes wrong with it post-build then you can take it back to the person who built it to resolve.
    • You don't have to stress about installing the components incorrectly and breaking something.

Or it could be a lack of skills.

Just because you know what kit goes into an awesome computer doesn't mean you have the ability to install said kit.

An example - Say I had a fiat nova (I don't... thankfully). I know that a bigger exhaust would make it look 'pimpin' and I know the exhaust that I want, but can I install it? Hell no. So I go to someone who can and pay them to do it for me.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. Pheonicks56

I guess, this still doesn't satisfy my need to know why someone is dumping so much cash on such a luxury item at this point and time. And if they can afford to be so frivolous why aren't they going SLI and grabbing up dual vid cards and making a crazy RAID and what not...

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hmm, if the builder provides a warranty, which in this case probably does not apply.

This probably requires industrial tools, a hydralic ramp, maybe a blow torch, a big hammer etc. The purchase cost of these along with safety concerns means its uneconomical.

It is economical to buy a wrist strap and a screw-driver, the knowhow takes only an extra hour or two, if they can spend the hours figuring out what cooler and what hard disk in what RAID config and that they need it overclocked because standard performance is not good enough. Then yes I'd expect them to build it themselves or buy it from a larger vendor like scan or venom with warranty support.

14. Pheonicks56

This is kind of the thought process I was having. When I built my rig a few years ago all I had to go off of was my friends telling me to check out newegg.com for parts and I had a PC Magazine that had the 2006 PC Building Bible article in it. I knew nothing to start with and by the time I figured out what I wanted inside my rig I had enough knowledge to unscrew the case and plug my stuff in and get it all working properly.

15. greenbrucelee

I just build the what the orders say.

My boss offers a warranty so if the system doesn't work or a component then there's a courier arranged to pickup and then it's fixed.

Luckily I haven't had this yet although I did think I would with the sun system refurb I did since I left half a ton of blood inside the case on the mobo.:D

16. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

You should have added "organic insulation" to the invoice and charged extra.

I always assumed no company would entertain a warranty with anything outside the manufacturers specs (Overclocking etc.)

Certifications: A+
  17. greenbrucelee

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ offer a warranty with their pre-built overclocked systems, they even sell an overclocking guide that accompanies some components if you buy them so if you buy certain RAM, mobo, cpu and cooler from them the guide tells you how to oveclocker them with maximum results. you also get a warranty and its covered only if you follow that guide to the letter.

my boss doesn't sell guides but he does inform customers that overclocking voids the warranty and can cause component failure, his warranty only covers a couple of months for overclocked systems but a year for normal systems.

18. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I stand thoroughly corrected! Useful to know if I decide not to build my new PC this year!

Ta

Certifications: A+
  19. Qs

But you have the choice. Even if the builder doesn't provide a warranty you still have someone to go and moan at, and as they did the work they're more likely to fix it. It beats kicking yourself if you mess up.

It was just an analogy, perhaps not a particularly good one, but still...the point remains that people who don't want to go and learn these kind of skills are more inclined to pay someone else to do it for them.

Qs

20. Qs

Yep. Overclockers.co.uk are good. Slightly (and I do mean slightly!) over what you'd expect to pay when comparing ebuyer/scan etc but yeah

*nods*:p

Qs