Need some clarification with A+ Book

Discussion in 'A+' started by Eric Cartman, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman Bit Poster

Hey guys.

I bought the A+ book and am currently studying it right now. I have a PC that is still working and I dont want to ruin it so Im getting myself an anti-static wristband and a mat so I can get a better understanding of it all.

Now first question: when opening up the PC do I actually need to put it on a mat?

Second question: while Im standing, do I need to stand on a mat as well?

Third question: when taking out components and later putting it back into the PC, I dont need to buy an anti-staic bag do I? as I can put it on the mat, right?

Thanks in advance.

Cartman

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Dont worry about the PC case itself, or standing on a mat (your wriststrap will sort you out), just place your components on the mat as you take them out and you should be fine.

Certifications: C&G, A+
  3. Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman Bit Poster

Thanks. Off I go:)

4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Remember to grab the components by the edges if you are removing them. And have fun :)

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I think this should be answered!

we do a lot of things different in the real world, however, in a strict environment or indeed examination we have to stick to the theory outlined.

No, the mat is connected to the PC case frame. Components are placed on the mat e.g. graphic card so there is no potential difference of static electricity between you, the card and PC

No, however you should have an anti static wrist strap connecting you to the PC case frame, again, so there is no potential difference.

Yes, you can put them on to the mat, however, bags are handy for temporary storing and moving components away from the workspace.

Another common question is do i need to leave the PC plugged in with the mains turned off to earth it?

The answer is no and make sure the PC is turned off and unplugged when messing around inside.
    You are using the PC case as a reference to stop damage from static.

Also remember when a PC is powered down 5 volts still runs through the motherboard, so make sure you turn off at the mains before removing cards etc otherwise you could damage the board.

Good luck with the A+

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman Bit Poster

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions:D