Need some career advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JohnBradbury, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I've been working in the industry for just on ten years now and managed to land my first ever role straight out of school. I've been very lucky in the past and landed roles with some well know IT companies. At my peak [almost 4 years ago] I got a second stage interview with Microsoft but due to a family situation I called and had them take my name off the list.

Basically I've been a freelance contractor since day one and worked all over the country. Now with two young kids and feeling a bit longer in the teeth I really want to settle into a permanent job close to home.

I finished my last role in November and I've been looking ever since. The market seems really slow right now and I'm not getting much back from agencies.

I started out in desktop support but for the past two years I've been working in Wintel Server Support. It was a great experience and I managed to impress my managers, unfortunately the company was in the process of moving the tech teams to India so no permanent job was available.

Anyway looking at my CV it's now filled with tons of short term roles [although the last role was 18 months]. I really think it's hurting me. I can also expect my income to drop significantly in a local permanent role but I'm prepared for that.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated right now and wondered what you guys thought I should do?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Most of my technical and technical writer jobs have been relatively short term. It's so much easier to snag a contract or "contract-to-hire" job than an actual full-time permanent gig when you're a low level tech and/or writer for some reason (I know...that doesn't apply to you but I'm getting to that part). My CV is a shotgun blast of different kinds of job roles which puts me all over the map. I did have a FT/Perm job once but the company went under.

I don't think the contract work hurts as much as you think. One of the questions I get alot though when I interview is if I like being a contractor (some people do) or would rather be FT/Perm. I tell them FT/Perm and that the contract work is what was available when I needed work. I think if you make that clear in interviews and cover letters, it'll help with the perception that you don't want to "settle down".

My current gig is (of course) contract-to-hire. I've only been at the place a little over two months and the (more or less) agreement was to see what happens after six months. All you can do is try. I wouldn't recommend reducing the number of entries on your CV as potential employers might wonder what you were up to during that time. That said, my CV only goes back about 4 or 5 years since that's how long I've actually been doing technical writing (before that, I was doing tech work and before that, nothing at all relevant).

I'll be 54 this year and in a way, I'm still waiting to "settle down". Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. JohnBradbury

Thanks for the reply trip. I'll take what you've said on board and have a good think about where I want my career to be going.

I guess I often get a bit of tunnel vision when I'm on the downside of a contract and it plays havoc with my routine.

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I know you come across as one that is bright and very computer literate but hope you don't mind if I ask how you're applying for new roles. I personally find jobsite very useful with your CV listed for recruiters to contact you as I find this more effective than sending several CV's to a fictitious role that does not exist.

The bottomline is if you use jobserve and more preferably jobsite and then alter your CV every other day like bolden and undoing this would put your CV back on top. After this I can say with certainty you'd be in a role in no time.

Lastly, just be persistent and keep on plugging away as looking for a role is almost like full time employment in its own. The MCSE 2003 would also put you in a good competitive spot as well. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Although not IT I have done some contract work and when asked by an employer if I liked FT or contract work I would say full time and the contract work I have done is because no full time work was available and I like working and don't want to claim any benefits, so I work the hours available to me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just make it clear on your CV that those were contract roles. Alternatively, briefly explain your situation in your cover letter, and that you want to settle into something more permanent.

Moving around in IT is pretty common... you just don't want to make it look like you're a job hopper. I think if you explain your situation, potential employers won't dismiss you out of hand... most will look at your CV with some level of understanding, if you tell them why.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. JohnBradbury

Thanks guys for all your responses. I'm going to take a further look at my CV and keep plugging away.

onoski I do use jobserve and jobsite but haven't posted my CV to the site. I'll look into this and see if I get any bites. Cheers

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Originally:JohnBradbury;Thanks guys for all your responses. I'm going to take a further look at my CV and keep plugging away.

Trust me you would, just make it published so that recruiters can view your CV and contact you directly. To be honest judging from my many past experiences I had tons of interviews because a recruiter saw my CV on jobsite or jobserve.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell