Need Some Advice/HELP!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by UkPen, Sep 3, 2009.

1. UkPen

UkPen New Member

Hello =]

Passed both my 271 and 272! But I need some advice, I was thinking of doing a Cisco course but I think that would be a bit to complicated for me XD. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a step up from MCDST.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, MCP
  2. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Since you have the A+ i would say CompTIA Network + is a logical next Step may also come in handy for Cisco networking certs

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The Network+ is definitely worth a look, this would round out the entry level certs nicely.

I'd advise against the Cisco certs unless you're working with their equipment on a daily basis, remember certification is for validating the knowledge you already have not for massively expanding your knowledge.

Oh, and why not introduce your self here and be a part of the community :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hi and welcome! :D

To add to what has already been pointed out. Whats your current job role?

Anyways, for a step up from MCDST, see here.

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. UkPen

UkPen New Member

That makes sense, as I am pretty young I wanted to try the Microsoft route and then maybe have a go at the Cisco route. So forget Cisco for a minute, what would you recommend my next cert should be? Currently I'm unemployed but looking for a job :)

...oh and thanks everyone! :thumbleft

6. UkPen

UkPen New Member

Oh Thank You Obie For Your Post :)

I had a look at it, and I do like the sound of the MCTS or the MCITP but what would you recommended?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Network+, absolutely... and no further until you get a bit of experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Your current cert status should be able to get you a decent entry level job, though it might be a tough one because of the recession. You still have to show you are technically competent based on your acquired certs.

So the point is concentrate more now on getting a job with the experience and certs you already have and put gaining any other cert now on hold, work up your experience (you should be able to access yourself experience wise) then based on the path you have decided on, validate with the relevant certs.

All the best! :D

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

If you cant Choose bettween MCITP or MCTS if you have MCDST you can get both in one upgrade exam

If you have the MCDST you can sit 70 - 621 the upgrade exam that makes you MCITP: ENT and MCTS: Vista 2 certs for 1 exam that what I would recommend if you want to go down the Microsoft root

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-621&locale=en-us

But Network+ i think is best next step my plan is to get MCDST A+ and N+ within the next year . Im not goin to run before i can walk by goin into high level certs i only have 15month experiance in 1st line

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP