Need motivations

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by anto6ik7, Sep 9, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask how do you find motivations to study? I feel absolutely not willing to do anything at the moment. However, i know that i need to try to push myself to do some learning.

Any advices?

Thank you :)

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What are you trying to study matey?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

I am learning for 271 (MCDST). However, this week on my placement they push me to learn a bit of sharepoint. They are using it for very basic purpose. So I am more concentrated on my XP exam at the moment. However, i need to improve my sharepoint knowledge too.

I think it was you doing blogs about 271 exam. I might be wrong. Anyway, it is really difficult to push myself learning after being working a whole day.

How do you motivate yourself to study?

4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

What can I say... For me, it's the motivation of having a cert which keeps me reading and testing. I aim for the exam which in turn makes me add more and more of my time to the study material at hand.

What you may be experiencing is a burn-out, maybe from doing too much studying (which I guess is different for each person). Remember; "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" :)

Maybe you're finding your current study material a bit boring, get something else to read and see if you're psyched for some other technology. When you've had a dose of that, come back to the original one or something (although you may need to re-read parts to refresh the things you learnt).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Great advice. I might try different material. However, I think i am going to do some practical learning for a period time. After i might get my motivations back to read and learn more.:)

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think you've hit the nail on the head with mentioning the practical studies :)

Any IT textbook on its own can appear quite dry (IMO) without being able to apply the practical side of what you're learning.

That's why things like frameworks (ITIL) are hard courses to overcome - it's more difficult to directly apply the knowledge, whereas with the 70-271 you can grab your PC with XP on it, and start putting to work straight away what the course is yammering about.

I think I'll be a 'perpetual student' and never stop - I can't get enough of learning new things.

How are you studying? If you're ramming 2 or 3 hour sessions non-stop, then you probably will be experiencing burnout. The brain is able to take more on board in 20 - 30 minute sessions. Try studying with these 'buzz sessions' and break it up a little - 20 minutes for a section of a chapter, for example, then grab yourself a cuppa, focus your eyes somewhere else for 10 minutes, then spend 20 minutes applying the practical knowledge from the reading session on your 'test' PC.

Hope this is the kind of thing you were after :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Good advice from Arroryn.

I remember my first "dry" IT book was the Exchange 2000 training book from MS Press which I used for my MCSE studies. That was a PAIN to read.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I like to study in short bursts, and I skim sections that I'm already familiar with. If I don't have enough hands-on expereince, it'll slow me down to a slog... which can make the material difficult to study.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Here's my motivation. Any time I get sick of study, I look at my little boy. He makes me wanna try my best and push myself :lol:. James

Attached Files:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Torrix

Torrix Bit Poster

Ok this is not a reply to specific – “course” “cert” “qualification” etc but I am also studying and have a what you may say “different” approach: -

I saw a program a few years back regarding a self-made millionaire, his motivation for getting further or working harder (and I guess doing things that were are bit tedious or boring) was a screen saver..! (stay with me lol) when his business started of he had a picture of a BMW/Mercedes etc on the S/saver so every time it popped up he knew what he was working for..! Then when he got the car he changed the image i.e BMW to a Porsche and when he got that he put a 150k Ferrari on it and in the end he had a garage worth about 500k..!

The morel of the story is if he got of track or thought “why” he remembered his goal (or one of the cars)

Now I am trying to become a freelance web designer and developer (now many people have said its either/or not both (design or develop). Now I know its going to take longer to get to the goal but in the end I know it will be worth it.

I kinda do the same thing as the above bloke, but for me its money. Now in plucking figures out of the air here but - I look and see what good developers charge or can get and use that as my “car” i.e. ok (ish) designer/developer can get 500 a site may take a week so that’s 2k a month – as you get better “learn more” you get more (or bigger better car) so if I keep learning and put the effort in I can get 25k for a few months work on a really hard site..! 100k a year THAT PUSHES ME :twisted::twisted:

And breath…….. you still awake :blink:blink

Torrix

WIP: MSTS & MSPD