Need help choosing elective for MCSA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by JackBauer24, May 24, 2010.

1. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

I first thought someone was posting the same thing I was (link), but they asked for different exams.

Newaayys....I'm going for MCSA and hopefully onto MCSE or MCITP (not sure what area yet - enterprise support or admin).

I passed 70-270, so I have 3 exams left for MCSA. I know 70-290 and 70-291, but my elective is where I'm stuck.

Should I take 70-620, 70-680, or go for MCDST (70-271 and 70-272) as my elective? Or are there any others to suggest?

I'm currently not working, so I don't know out in the workforce what's mainly out there OS wise or server OS wise. When I worked last year, I remember mostly everyone was on XP and Server 2003. OS wise, I didn't really have anyone working with Vista and Windows 7 didn't come out at that time. For servers, 2008 was just coming out to some companies I had supported.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In all honesty I would go for the Sec+ like I mentioned in that post, because it's vendor neutral it's going to give you a good understanding of general Security principles and imho a better chance in the future.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I agree with SimonD. That is actually the route that I intend to take.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Agreed, Sec+ or MCDST. Both are worth having and help to beef up your CV nicely with an extra cert.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

I'm leaning toward getting the MCDST because right now I have an MCP, courtesy of 70-270.

Then once I finish 70-290 and 70-291, I can add to my resume MCSA, MCDST, and MCP. Not bad for 5 exams....

I've been told to get 70-680 since that's the way corporate America is leaning to once everyone gets rid of XP. Then once I get MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration, then I can start my path toward:

* MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    * MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    * MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7