Need advise-what is the best step to take

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by APL1974, Jan 3, 2007.

1. APL1974

APL1974 New Member

Hi,

My name is Alan and I'm looking at getting into the IT side of things "CISCO" is what I would be interested in (Networking)
    I have no Certs only my own experiance at home on PC (Was a hard gamer, which I learned a lot about networking)

I have been searching on courses and found that the training camp is possibly the one I will go for, but hence the title of the topic can someone advise !!

The course is 3k and its over a week (very intense course) but I'm not 100% this is right for me! maybe I should think about a lower course to learn more about networking ! I hear the A+ could be the best ? if so can someone point me in the right direction on looking into this as to where and cost etc.

CCNA stage 1 is the basics - will that do ?

Apologies if these questions have been asked.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Alan

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

CISCO is a rather specialized area of networking. I would suggest you grab a Network + Book and make sure you have a good foundational knowledge of the subject if you are not sure.

Oh, two other good resources are;

http://www.learntosubnet.com

http://www.tcpipguide.com

Good luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First of all - welcome to CF!

I have to ask - you put 'CISCO' in quotes. Do you know who Cisco are? CCNA is a very specific cert for one manufacturer, and the way your question is phrased suggests you want a rather more general introduction.

Note that just taking one part of CCNA won't do you much good in the employment market.

I'd suggest that a better introduction would be with Network+.

An intensive course is only really suitable if you know most of the material in advance. IMHO gaming isn't really much of an intro to Networking, as I think you will discover when you get further into it!

Whatever you decide - the best of luck!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

You need a good foundation in the basics of networks to do Cisco. As has been said, I'd strongly recommend doing network+ first. As an added benefit, the n+ can count towards an MCSA if you ever decide to go down that route...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There aren't really any entry-level Cisco administration jobs... that's typically something you work up to, not jump into. Meaning, you start out with an entry-level IT job, get experience, advance in your career, tell your supervisors that you have a desire to work with Cisco equipment, and perhaps you'll be allowed to do so when you've built up experience (and quite possibly, moved up the career ladder by switching jobs a couple of times). Eventually, it will happen, if you push your career that direction... and you'll be working with Cisco equipment all day long, to your hearts content.

...but you must learn to walk before you run. :)

Training courses won't get you experience. Certification won't get you experience. Only working with it in a real-world business environment gets you experience. Education and certification are important... but they'll only give you an advantage over someone with the same amount of experience.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. APL1974

APL1974 New Member

Thanks people, Network + sounds to me the way to go....
    agree, walk not run

Thanks again
    Alan

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sounds good to me Alan - Welcome to the forum 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!..... Network+ suggested here too....

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin