Need advice please: SPSS 6.1

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by dee1810, Nov 10, 2007.

1. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Firstly, if I'm in the wrong section of the forum: I'm very sorry.

I've been looking through some old books and come across a book by Marija Norusis called SPSS 6.1-Guide to Data Analysis.
    There was no software included with this book, but it DID stsate that this can be run on Both Mac and windows. I have a Windows XP Home Edition.

Please could someone tell me: Where can I get the special software that I need to start and "try" this new project. (yes!, I know that 6.1 is an ancient version... butI have absolutely No experience of this, and I'm very interested.

Does anyone else have this book? Please just give me some feedback for this?

Thanks

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I read your post and wondered why you would post this in the Linux/Unix forum. I had to do a little research to understand why.

The way I see it, SPSS is a programming language for doing statistical analysis. I did an apt-cache search in Debian for spss and came up with a program called, fittingly enough in the Linux/open source world, PSPP that uses the SPSS language. Here is the home page for this project.

I really don't know anymore about this subject as statistical analysis is not a big interest of mine. Hope this helps though.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi

Thank You for your help.. Am I in the wrong forum, then? Like I said, any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.!

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know. I don't know exactly where you would put this. It's one of those subjects that pretty much just necessarily falls through the cracks because of the limitations of how many forums a site a can support. There's just bound to be some things that won't fit neatly under any heading. This looks like one of them to me....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1