Need advice on virtual network problem

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by TimoftheC, May 13, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Guys,

After much tinkering, I have managed to set-up Virtual PC 2007 and have loaded Win Server 2003 and set it up as a Domain Controller. I have also loaded up vista and after a bit of trial and error, I have managed to get vista on to the domain and can join without any problems.

Feeling bouyed by my success, I have installed win xp into cirtual pc and followed the exact same steps to get it on to the domain as I did with vista, but without success.

I can follow the wizard and after entering the user name, password and domain name, I get the following message:

When I select "yes" there is a slight delay and then I'm presented with the following message:

I have set the password policy to accept simple passwords and that the user does not have to re-set the password on initial login, just to make it easier, but I still get the same message.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That is how I did but not with Vista, I have 2 xp pros running.

I am not sure about this or if it happens on vpc but are you using a copy that is already regstered with MS if so it could be license issue.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Find the computer account in AD and delete it. join the xp machine to a workgroup (let's call it ERROR) reboot, then try to join the xp machine to the domain again making sure that you are using the admin account.
    Just make sure that the XP machine has the right ip for your DNS server (shouldn't be an issue really as it already found the domain but work double checking)

Hope this helps
    Amine

WIP: Exchange
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Amine, that sorted it out. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time round, maybe I miss-typed something. Anyway, all working now - thanx

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???