Need a job right now

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have learned Visualbasic.net on the BTEC. I also have been using C# outside of college. This is just one role i thought i would apply for im not going to be applying specifically programming roles normally i apply for Admin or IT support jobs.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Always, always, always tailor your CV to the position you're applying for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The great thing about programming? like any creative art, you can provide a portfolio

Make some programs, simple ones, complex ones, throw them on a website and list them on the resume
    let people see what you can do, hell supply source code if you like so people can see your code and your potential

a Web designer resume will always have a list of websites they worked on, I'd suggest a similar approach

Don't worry about the **** people are giving you for listing the A+ and MCP, a programmer requires decent hardware and OS understanding, depending on the programming they plan on doing of course
    and most of the good ones know enough about how it all works to put me to shame

Keep slogging, once it took me 18 months to find a job :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It took me 5 years to get my break into IT.

While I missed your CV, from what I can gather you do not have any work experience. Do not limit yourself to only IT jobs at the moment, if you do you will miss out on alot of work experience, plus all the soft skills you can build up while waiting for your 1si job in IT.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I'm looking for any job really, i even got an interview for a job welding but i had no experience and from what i gather the other applicants have lots.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Cant say about the others, but I'm not saying they are totally useless, Im saying that they arent particularly going to help getting into the first programming job.

The OP's CV declares some (mythical it appears when looking at the cv) aptitude in programming, yet provides nothing to back that up. Looking at his CV, I saw no evidence of doing any programming during his school career.

The point I was trying to make was that he needs to retailor the cv for any of the programming jobs he applies for, and plays up the software development aspect.

When I went looking for my first proper development role, I re-wrote my CV, significantly emphasising the development experience I did have, and spent less time talking about the less relevant stuff.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present