Nearly almost nearly, many thanks...!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by YinTakLee, Oct 2, 2007.

1. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

Stumbled onto this site researching for I.T. courses refered to by the institute of I.T. training but the opinions expressed by many of the members here have persuaded me otherwise and making me see some sense, Thanks again!

Anyway im Yin and like many others im looking for the first step into an I.T. career. I've graduated in Model Design a couple of years back but not really finding any real career prospects ;) yeah i know 'what did you expect!' so have decided to re-train in something a bit more in demand :rolleyes:

Enquired with cerco, national it learning centre, learning tree, computeach, but all too expensive or require too much home base study so im left with a choice of going back to college or getting all the books and learning myself.

ideally i want to get into a support base role and learn as i work but from reading around so does everybody else..! What i dont get is if there is so much demand in the I.T. industry why isnt there more opputunitites?? :rolleyes: Sorry for the moan but there should be some kind of guidance from the gov or the industry perhaps or am i looking in the wrong places :confused3

anyhowz thank god i found this Forum

Yin Tak lee

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Save yourself tons of money and go the self study route. You're best bet would be to start with the Comptia A+

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

As Wz says go for the compTIA A+ and self study. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

Thanks, yea i think im gonna have to i would like to do a part time college course to help with practical side too, how did you start off?

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You don't need a college course to do the practical stuff, get a cheap computer off ebay and take that apart 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. greenbrucelee

The main book you need for the A+ is compTIA all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers 6th edition but you can get another called PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles (Tripwire 45 on these forums)

In his book it has lots of excercises you can do, if you can get hold of an old pc then you can do them at home so theres no need for a college course.

7. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

Jeez, man you guys are great, i ve got more help from you guys in the last few mins than i have from countless phone calls to sales idiots in the last month... aaaaahhhhhh the cloud of confusion has finally lifted...

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

I also agree to go with the self study route.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. greenbrucelee

Good luck with your studies. :D

10. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

Cheer dudes ill dance at your weddings

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's because you're getting opinions of people either in the industry or working to get into the industry... not people trying to sell you something. You'll find a lot of helpful advice and knowledgeable opinions here. :)

Welcome, Yin!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Yin. Welcome to CertForums. Is the photo in your avatar Lou Ferrigno? If not, he bares a striking resemblance.

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Hi, and welcome Yin. I'm Glad you've found the help you needed. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  14. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

lol must be i just picked it randomly cus it made me laugh. aint he the incredible hulk?

15. greenbrucelee

Yep he is, he also in a comedy series called King of Queens

16. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

i ve been advised to do A+ which is what im interested in but my customer service isnt that good as i have no real customer service experience.

I'd eventually like to do some installation of cisco networks hands on stuff so is there any other options besides answering phones i wouldnt mind visiting clients and repairing stuff is there roles like that and will the preparations be the same ;P me me me sorry

17. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

king of queens.. i thought the guy from that will smith movie dating movie was in king of queens

18. greenbrucelee

yes he is, Lou ferringo played his angry neighbour who used to come round to his house and scare him

19. greenbrucelee

What do you do now as a job?

If you deal with customers then thats customer experience, if your not working maybe try to get a call centre job, it doesn't have to be IT related but whatever it is it'll get you experience in dealing with customers.

20. YinTakLee

YinTakLee Bit Poster

yea been chop and changing this past year sounds really uncommitted but at the moment im working in a warehouse. pretty limited customer service wise, ive done other stuff in the past like door to door which'll probably put me in good stead