Nato Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by arisen, Jan 26, 2006.

1. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Just thought i'd post this here....if i hear another 'F for Freddy' i may be violently sick, to all here who work in telephone based support, please learn this! :eek:

[​IMG]

(Dunno what's up with the numbers though? :blink )

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well-posted, Arisen - should be required learning for all.

Had to laugh (to myself) today at a customer who, spelling out his username said "A, for amino" (oooh, fancy, I thought) followed immediately by "F for frog" Made me smile :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks for that. Will come in useful. I'm on the phone all day at work, and I've not got a clue past the letters they use a lot in The Bill....

I hate it when I'm on the phone to people, and they spell at you. Long words, I wouldn't mind - they're probably being careful, kind, or reading from a dictionary to learn the words themselves.

But today, a lady called asking us to send her our latest catalogue, and it was "I live at 135 Top lane, that's T...O...P" :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Woodrow Wyatt (oddball 20th century British journalist & politician) once booked into a French hotel. When they asked him how he spelt his name, he replied
    "Wyatt. That's Waterloo, Ypres, Agincourt, Trafalgar, Trafalgar."

Never figured out why 9 should be niner?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

My favourites are Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Romeo Oscar Tango Foxtrot Lima Mike Alpha Oscar

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

One of my colleagues was doing a really good job on a postcode once. It went something like:

Papa Oscar Seven, two delta...

And a look of confusion and horror crossed his face as he ended it off with,

...er, Elephant.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. I live on Post Lane, and if I don't spell out P O S T and give postcode for it, you wouldn't believe what the person on the other end of the phone line reads back to me.....

I've had Coast, Cause, Pose as in pose for a picture, Dose as in a dose of medicine, Roast, Rose, and a few more I can't recall off the top of my head right now. I always spell it out as it ends up saving time and having to repeat myself a few times. I suppose some service center people think I'm be ridiculous, but I've had so many of them screw up a simple word that it's not funny.

How people can mistake a P for an R I don't know but it sure happens a lot.

I have the same thing happen with numbers so if I have a series of numbers such as 14923895 I won't give them individually. I'll say fourteen ninety-two, thirty-eight ninety-five. One is a familiar date in the US the other sounds like a price in a store and they seem to stick in people's heads much better than a string of 8 digits will.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1