Problem My Virtual PC's aren't talking :(

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mattd, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mattd

Mattd New Member

Hi this is my first post and I'm a real network newby so go easy.

I've set-up windows server 2008 on a virtual pc as a practice lab for the MCTS 70-640 course. My network uses the 192.168.1.0/24 private ip range. I've configured the virtual server on a separate LAN using the 10.0.0.0/24 range as per the course instructions. I also have another virtual pc running XP.

The problem is that after adding some users to the server I need to log-on as one of them, but how?

Is there a way of configuring the virtual pc to be part of the virtual servers LAN?

your help would be appreciated :)

2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Can you tell me what virtual software you are using please?

I assume you are using connected using broadband at home. If you are using VMware Workstation then you have connect to the physical network which is your router/hub therefore used the bridge option and not the NAT or Host only and configure the TCP/IP manually first on your client computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I would assume he is using virtual PC.

To the original poster: Are you able to ping the server from the XP machine? What do you have the virtual machine networking settings as? internal network, NAT, the actual adapter? is the XP machine set to use DHCP or a static address?

Have gone into my computer properties on the XP machine and tried to join it to the domain?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. Mattd

Mattd New Member

Hi and thanks for responding.

I'm running Virtual PC on my work desktop which is connected to the works server and a member of its domain.

The virtual server was originally configured to have an ip of 10.0.0.11, gateway 10.0.0.1 and dns 127.0.0.1. It could ping itself but nothing else obviously. In an attempt to connect the virtual server to the vertual pc in xp mode I switched them both to DHCP. Now they can ping each other, however the virtual xp can't join either the work domain or the virtual server domain.

I've turned the firewall off on the xp pc. The ipconfig is a little confusing as well. Our gateway address for our router is.1.5 and the DHCP server is.1.2 on the virtual pc its .131.254 for both and yet I can still access the web. I thought default gateways were the address of the router your pc uses to connect to the isp?

As you can see I'm steadily getting more and more confused :rolleyes:

5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Did you ever sort this Mattd? Never used Virtual PC but always use VMWare. If I were you I'd try to segregate it from your Work LAN. See if there is any option of assigning a 'Virtual LAN'. That way you can make your server and your client on their own 'virtual' LAN.

Also, the Default Gateway isn't necessarily your Router to the ISP. It's the address that packets will be sent to for anything outside of the local subnet which granted, in most cases is the router/switch.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!