My turn for resume critique

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by volatile, Aug 22, 2008.

1. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

I'm curious and looking to test the market to see what's out there so I've dusted off my resume and tried to update it a bit. It's been years since I have had someone take a good look at it. Please let me know what I can improve. Note, I don't think this is a CV...I'm actually not sure what the difference between a technical resume and a CV is so please clarify for me. I'm still not sure if I should even bother including an objective statement and a summary of qualifications.

View attachment volatile_resume.doc

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm probably going to come across as a real asshole now and this isn't meant as a pop at you volatile (it really isn't) but people do seem to be using CF as a free CV / Resume checking service. At least you have 15 posts to your name rather than the usual type who's very first post is ... here is my CV please help me.

I'm sure someone less cynical will be along to give some advice, so just ignore me. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm glad that you've stayed at your current job for longer than your other jobs. Just looking at you CV, it kinda looks like you're job hopping, but the past is the past and there's nothing you can do about that.

Your CV format, is a personal thing. For me I actually base my CV along the lines of an application form, and I prefer people who apply at our place to do the same (again it's a personal thing). Alot of the duties/tasks I would remove from the CV and place it in the cover letter. This makes the CV easier to read and then if I like the overall CV, then I read the tasks/duties and other info in the cover letter.

Oh yeah and I do agree with Modey :iagree

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If you require some general CV writing tips then visit here

Enjoy :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Well, your opinion is your opinion. I've helped others on this forum as well so take it as you will.

6. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Yeah that first job ended quick. The others between that and my current jobs were either second jobs or side jobs for extra money. But, what would be put in my work exp? Thanks for the help.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I was going to post a long post on how my CV is layered, why, etc, but that wasn't your question :)

Basically on your work experience: Just your job title, dates job held and company your worked at. That's what I have on mine. But then again my whole CV/cover letter has had over 10 years of revisions, changes and formats before it has gotten to the stage of where I happy with it. Plus please note, my CV is always changing slightly with every new qualification, every new skill and every new "phase" CV developments that comes out. And it gets modified per job I apply for... Never, never, never have a generic CV/cover letter that you just mass send out :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security