My plan...please read

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by noel123ie, Jun 10, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi,

Im just MCSA certified plus Security+ as part of this. Im on Level 1 and hoping to move to another company as no opportunities in current company.

I also hope to finish Exchange MCP and MCP 70-299 Security in a Windows 2003 Network plus Linux + pre November.Then maybe upgrade exam to 2008.

I would really appreciate some advice on the following:

1 With Exchange and also Security mcp plus linux + from a cert point of view how will my cv look?
    2 Would it be worth getting some work experience for cv?
    3 Will I leave in/out a primary degree(non IT) some people look for this but those that do not do I leave out?
    4 With certs how am I fixed to move?Moving with economy as it is maybe risky?

What do ye think of sending out cv and doing a few interviews if they come up? I do not want to burn my bridges either with companies if I do not decide to move but could do with experience not worried about recruitment companies.

Thanks a mill,
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not sure what you mean by "Level 1" - do you mean you're doing 1st line support ?

1) It will look fine except that certs are there to validate experience not to show knowledge acquisition
    2) DEFINITELY
    3) Always include degree level and beyond - it shows you have reached a learning level, regardless of topic studied
    4) Depends on EXPERIENCE and what area you want to move into

Never any harm in sending CV out

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Thanks for help yes Im at level 1 currently

Will work on cv and sent out

Thanks
    Noel

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Prob best to say 1st line Support then as "Level 1" doesn't really mean much to people (never heard it called that before).

It's a tough market so good luck ! :D

5. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Thanks Daskstar for valued input

Is IT job availibility as bad there as in Ireland?

Noel

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Um, let me see - I've got 10 years experience (mainly Microsoft) from running my own support company, got a degree (had some IT/SQL content but not an IT/Computing degree), got ITIL V3 Foundation, studying for various MS and Cisco certs and have been looking for 13 months now - err, does that answer the question ?! :p

It's depressing m8 !

7. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Oh my god sorry to hear that

You are really well qulified

Ive been here on a low end job as had mobile website that was going ok but now gone dead so concentrating on certs now

Was going to send cvs But not expecting much response though

Ive a friend who does sys admin and says can get me some server experience/desktop

I study say 2 hrs in work and 1 in the evening hope to be mcse by say june 09 I understnad I will be way over qualified but for my emntal state and self esteem need to get certified

I wonder though would ccna be better than mcse?I would then have mcsa ccna se+ and linux+?

Also will be able to add these as my jobs improve

Have you applied all over UK or just locally?

I am not experienced enough to go abroad but would do if could not get work but depends on individual circumstances

Noel

8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

my bad

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Im a genius :eek:

Thats should read june10

Im guessing you are doing the MCSA in security? Do you think this is more useable than MCSA Messaging?

Apologies
    noel

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Noel,

I started out in IT a year ago in 1st Line Support. I have just secured a role in 3rd Line Support. I typed up an overview of my year which can be found here

Hope that helps.

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi Craig

Thanks read it already

Very impressive and helpful

Noel