MY PC WON'T START UP

Discussion in 'Software' started by twobellies, Mar 19, 2006.

1. twobellies

twobellies Bit Poster

Can any one help my pc which is running XP reaches a certain point and won't start. It shows the xp icon with a blue background and that's as far as it gets. i have tried starting from a restore point/safe mode but it just keeps getting to that screen again. Can anyone help?

regards

Tom :cry:

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+ N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

When you say 'icon' do you mean the full screen splash? Saying 'Windows XP'?

What happens when you try console mode?

And what message do you get when it fails?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried LKG (Last known good) option. It is one of the choices when you hit F8 and can also chose Safe Mode. LKG loads the last successful registry settings and can be a godsend sometimes.

It doesn't work if you have been able to log into windows because the registry setting get replaced just after logging on but if you haven't got that far, it might work for you.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. twobellies

twobellies Bit Poster

Hi,
    I am not getting any error message at all. It reaches a as far as a blue background with the small windows xp logo and it won't go any further. I have tried LKG as suggested and safe mode and all the options available after pressing F8 but it just reaches the screen and refuses to go any further. I have just bought a windows recovery boot disk from Ebay so I will see if this works; but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime I would appreciate them!

Tom :rolleyes:

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

did you change any hardware components recently?

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

What was the last thing you did when the pc booted properly? Did you install / uninstall some software, fit new hardware or something else? some times know what you did last will help solve the problem.....

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

This sounds as if it maybe something a bit serious if it's not even going into safe mode (safe mode only loads essential drivers for the o/s to boot up).
    If it was a startup program conflict, you could type (in the run box) msconfig, and view all startup prog's and remove as necessary, but thats not an option in your case.
    I've had a few quirky problems with XP in the past (mainly from cheap mainboards especially AMD chipset / VIA one's), but as these have matured,plus with Service Pack 2, thing's have drastically improved.
    I often found that re-installing is sometimes the best option to fix quirky problems, if that doesn't work, suspect one of your hardware components (I have a really handy checker that runs from Dos, and is bootable - PC Check 6 - checks all hardware for probs)...

Hope you get there with the fix!!!

Baron210

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cry:

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Last time i had that, it turned out to be a hard drive problem , so basically i got a spar HD and formatted it with xp , try that ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you tried booting from the Windows CD?
    If it's not hardware related it should let you do that. You could try a repair install and see if that helps.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Hi mate I had a similar problem only last week and it was a loose HD connection causing the problem. So turn the machine off (unplug) and check all internal / external connections to make sure they havent worked loose. If it still will not boot up after that even in safe mode it could well be a HD problem or an OS problem requiring a reinstall/repair as jonnyMX says.

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  11. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

How about trying finding a spare HD. Put xp on that and then it should boot up, if it does set the one that works as the master and then one thats a bit dodgy as the slave , and see if you can get into it that way, :rolleyes: then youll have all your files etc , just a thought let me know how it goes

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  12. twobellies

twobellies Bit Poster

Thannks for all the advice everyone! I tried an ERD but this still would not boot so i will check connections to hard drive etc.... if all fails I will have to call in a professional :oops: