My pc crashes because of cd/dvd drives! Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tr1pw1re, Feb 14, 2005.

1. tr1pw1re

tr1pw1re New Member

Hi all this is my first post. Im really stuck and annoyed with my pc.
    I recently got a dvd drive and installed it with no problems. both drives read fine. But whenever i put a cd or dvd in either drive, i get the blue screen of death saying that i need to insert a cd with serial *****. even if i push esc or enter it goes to a black screen and freezes.
    I have a amd duron 900
    Geforce 4 128MB
    52x32x52x cd writer
    DVD+ re rewriter (RW/R) has built in SD/MMC, MS, CF, SM and USB ports
    Running windows 98 1st edition

if anyone has any suggestions or wants to know anything else that wud help them to help me please let me know as its been like this for ages and wont let me install anything which has more than 1 disc as it crashes when i change. If i insert the cd during boot then it will read it fine. Its only in windows that it crashes when cd/dvd changed. Please help. I will be very greatful.
    Thanks in advance
    -tr1pw1re-

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi tr1pw1re. Are we related? :biggrin Welcome to CertForums. When you blue screen, there should be some information that is displayed. Sometimes the codes are searchable on Google and can indicate the possible cause of the problem.

You say your PC is running Windows 98 first ed. If you are running an older PC, I wonder if the motherboard BIOS supports DVD drives. Also, are all the patches and updates current on the OS? It maybe that a missing upgrade is contributing to the issue.

Other thoughts on the subject (I only had about 3 hours sleep last night so I hope this is making sense) have to do with how the DVD drive was installed. Are your HDD and DVD using the same IDE controller or different controllers? Is the DVD configured as a master or slave drive? How much RAM does your PC run. Possible you are having a memory overrun causing your blue screen.

Does your PC *only* blue screen when you try to play a CD or DVD or are there anyother times you experience blue screens (with 98, you periodically get blue screens "just because")? I assume you can put a Cd in the other drive and get it to play.

Anyway, welcome. You might want to take a moment to go up to the new members forum and introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about who you are. Greetings.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. tr1pw1re

tr1pw1re New Member

Hiya
    right...to the point...the blue screen codes: there are no codes, it blue screens on both cd/dvd drives "only" when the cd/dvd tray is ejected. if i remove a cd which was alredy in there or put a new cd in it will blue screen saying please insert cd referece:*********
    motherboard is fairly new and i checked and it supports dvd drives, everything is patched and up to date
    basically what happens is that a blue screen saying something similar to the above (to see one urself just remove a cd whilst installing something, it comes up then saying insert cd ref***) and it appears that it was still reading from the cd/dvd drives even if there not being accessed or written to etc. once a cd is in there and im past the blue screen (which only happens if i insert a cd during the dos boot, so it doesnt blue screen) the cds/dvds run fine. i have 256DDR RAM, and i cant remember how the drives are connected. will check that if this is no help. thanks for the assitance!

-tr1pw1re-

4. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I remember something like this.....
    Does the blue screen still happen if instead of pressing the eject button on the CD/DVD Drive you right click the drive in My Computer and select eject? Also what programs do you have running in the background? Do you have any CD writing software, or DVD software that runs on startup and sits down by the clock?
    Sorry if this sounds abit basic, I have been working with new overseas students alot at the mo, and I have to be VERY patience!
    James.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum :thumbleft
    It might be worth going to the microsoft hardware compatibility site to see if your make and model will run on 98.
    I'm sure i have come accross this before on 98 with DVD drives but cannot remember the outcome :cussing

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. tr1pw1re

tr1pw1re New Member

Hi
    thanks for the reply. yes it does blue screen when i click on the icon in my computer and select eject. the programmes on my system tray are: sound/volume thing, mouse settings for my mouse, InCD and sygate personal firewall. oh and obviously the clock. duno whether this helps, but i also gave the drives set letters when i installed them. so if they were auto set a certain drive letter and i didnt like it i changed their letter. so i got cd writer set to D:\ and the dvd writer set to E:\. they were originally something else. cant remember which tho. i think it was other way around. and i dnt mind it being basic. im not a beginer at I.T as have done a-levels in it, but this has me stumped! Cheers for any help u can give!
    -tr1pw1re-

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Might be worth your while letting Windows allocate the drives letters as it would normally. You may have conflicting IDE settings here ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. tr1pw1re

tr1pw1re New Member

that could be it...i hope not as knowing my luck i will end up with my cd drive as summit like j:\ cus i got ports on my dvd drive for memory cards aswell and other card types that have drive letters assigned. but i will have a check and see wot happens. cheers
    -tr1pw1re-

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And there was I thinking one Tripwire was more than enough :eek:

Okay, lets see. I agree that you should let windows decide on the drive letters, especially as you are running Windows 98 and first edition too :ohmy

It is best on it's own IDE controller, or at least a different one from the HDD.

Note, I installed a DVD drive recently and it was by itself on the IDE cable and it had to be installed as a slave, according to the manual :blink

Also, you might want to remove the CD drive and just use the DVD drive for everything. I have experienced quirks using two types of CD drives and I don't like copying CDs on the fly, so for me there is no need for two.

And, if I were you, I would be looking to get rid of windows 98 and install Windows 2000 Professional on that box. If you can get hold of a licenced copy on eBay you will be laughin :biggrin

Windows 98 is a naughty child and does not behave how it should regardless of who installs it. IMHO of course 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My ego must have overflowed and spawned another one. :eek:

jk :biggrin

11. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Hi Tripwire and welcome to the forum :thumbleft Have you checked the Jumper setting of the drives is one set as master and the other as slave or are they both on cable select. I usually set the master as the one on the end of the cable and the slave on middle of cable. You may also want to check that you have inserted the IDE cable correctly the way I usually go is to set pin 1 on the plug to pin 1 on the drive is to look at the cable it usually has a thin red line on it place that nearest the Molex connector with the red wire (red to red) so to speak. Also another question is it 80 wire cable if it is 40 some older cable are 40. If it is I am not sure it would work. Was this a replacement drive or a completely new add on? Have you checked all is well in the BIOS? I know a lot of questions but just too maybe help give you some more stuff to try. Another one to try what about the firmware is it upto date?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  12. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Congrats Tripwire 45 I see you have a offspring :baby . Did you not use protection !!!
    :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Must have been that wild fling I had before the vascetomy. :oops: