My new job as helpdesk/junior network engineer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mark-K, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

I started my new job last week but the actual job doesn't start properly until
    next week. My company are migrating their outsourced helpdesk into their own
    office to improve communication speed etc... and so far its just me! Well there
    are two others based in the USA office but I'm all alone in the UK :(

I haven't been given anything to do yet since everyone has been busy, but they
    have set me up with a desk, mobile, laptop and accounts to loads of things but
    I'm still waiting on my desk phone to arrive ( kind of important I think?! :p ).

The great part is that I have basic (show/ping) SSH access to all the Foundry
    BigIron and Juniper EX/SSG/SRX routers and I'm loving it! I've been poking about
    as much as I can to get used to things.

So far I've created my own /etc/hosts file with the router names linked to their
    ip addresses to help me get used to things and I've been creating network maps
    in as much detail as I can. They do have some maps but its mostly outdated since
    its a small company and the 3-4 main engineers know most of it by heart.

This is only my second job, my last was a pretty basic VoIP deployment and
    troubleshooting role so this is the first time I've had to do any serious
    studying. It's such a major step up from CCENT level... I've had to study as
    much as I can about OSPF, BGP and Multicasting as possible in the last week.

But I'm pretty sure that I have the basic concepts down now and within a few
    more weeks hopefully I should pick up the rest. I'm very anxious to how it will
    all go next week, but fingers crossed everything will be alright!

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP
    WIP: JNCIE
  2. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Not sure why nobody has replied yet!
    Sounds like you are is a great position now, well done and good luck!
    Hopefully you will get some simple stuff to do this coming week to ease you into the role!

Craig

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, congrats on the new job :)

Let us know how you get on with it and the Juniper certs :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security