My last CV i promise!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by orangepeeleo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Hey guys,

So the time is approaching where my current contract is going to be up for renewal, as we all know what the world of work is like at the minute i thought i'd get started with updating my CV in prep for getting it back out on job sites in the next month or so, hopefully giving me a good 2 months to start looking elsewhere incase my current employer decides the budget is a bit tight next year!

I had loads of help on this when i left the army and i am eternally thankful b/c it may have been what got me the job that im in now, who knows, but i was just looking for peoples opinions on my experience since and how i've worded it for my current role, i have seen a few cv's with simply a large list of technologys but i don't know if it is better wording it out as i have rather than just listing everything i know about?? I really have been exposed to a lot more since i left the army and i obv want to get it all on my new cv, but in a clear and presentable way and i'm not really sure how to go about doing this.

I promise that this will be the last help i ask for when it comes to my CV, as if the updated one is suitable then i think i've got the jist of it and can start helping others!

Thanks in advance as i know that the advice will be top notch!

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. orangepeeleo

bump!

3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Few things:
    1. Too wide
    2. Font too big
    3. Take off the paragraph that says you can claim. Good for you, no one else is bothered (no pun intended). Leave the bit that says what you want to do though.
    4. Take off married with kids (imho)

Other than that I think it's good to go.
    Could do with a little layout tweaking as it's not as tidy as it could be.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Delete this CV and sanitise it better. I can see things about a hospital in there that I really shouldn't be able to.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I once volunteered to do brain surgery, it doesn't make me a brain surgeon.

I have taken out the volunteered, I have also removed the expected date for the certification.. after all I expect to be Prime Minister by 2018!!!

The CV needs to read that you're the Go To Guy, volunteering, assisting, expecting... all sounds to me like you're not the GTG.

Anyway, here is an updated CV I just knocked up. One thing you need to be aware of (especially working in the kind of place you're currently working) is that you need to remove any and all Personal Information and Data from this kind of document, it's OK for a job agency but posting it on the Internet means anyone can read it (including your current employers). Again I have removed the data (name of the hospital where you work) from it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. orangepeeleo

:O S**T didnt even realise i'd left that on, what a mong!

Thanks for pointing that out, not had a look at your update yet (d/ling open office atm) but i can see what you mean with the volunteering thing, thought it would look like i was keen to gain more skills but on second thoughts it does make me look like the 'member of least' exp in the team i guess.

I'll have a look at your update when i have OO, thanks for bringing up the confidentiality thing, need a mod to remove that i think!

LukeP: I have been thinking that the formatting needed a little tweaking, you've confirmed that for me, hopefully it doesnt look too small with a smaller font, as one comment i had about my pre-update cv, from a guy i work with now who done my technical interview, was that it was a "bit thin on the ground"!

Good for you, no one else is bothered (no pun intended) This made me chuckle :) but my current employer was quite impressed about that, i might have to take it off though b/c its not going to make the difference between me getting a job and not!

Thanks a lot guys

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It shouldn't need Open Office as it was produced with Office 2010.