My laptop died RIP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, May 16, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Me? a Game Junky?

http://www.pheo.org/gallery/ss/desktop18052004

hehe ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry, Ryan. Even here at work with a full T1 to the Internet and a 100 mbp/sec LAN connection, I get the black screen and it acts like it's going to open but all I see in the upper left hand corner of where the image is supposed to be is the image icon. Won't open, tho.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my bad, im caining my bandwidth atm with bittorrent downloading the Fedora Core 2 DVD Iso :/
    probalby why hehe

on another note, HP in Boise only have a T1 connection to the net?
    darn, we can get 100Mb connections here in london for a little under 20K USD per year

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I can't see the image either.

My laptop ahs an intel processor.Thought long and hard about it, and decided to go with intel.

I'm a mad gamer myself, that's what gets the laptop heated the most.

Edit: The image just appeared.Lol pheonix, I can tell you Trip, he like's gaming :D

Can see COD there as well, nice one :!: , that's my downfall :oops:

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Pretty. I can see them, too. What do they mean? :confused3

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Newsflash :!: :

The laptop died again.This time the screen went fuzzy greya nd black, like the tv does with the ariel out, but more lines based than dots.

This time it isn't switching on again.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Don't know why it's overheating, if that's what it is.I'm hardly pushing it to the extreme.

Oh well :(

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If your fans aren't working properly, you probably shouldn't use it. Even if the CPU can withstand the heat, there are other components that aren't a durable. If the HDD gets hot enough, you're probably hosed anyway. Hopefully you had enough warning to back up all your data. :eek:

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

(Big Ben, ding dong ding) news just in...............

My laptop's working again.I picked it up, turned it over, and generally checked it out.
    Looked for signs of any internal burning, and took the battery out to check that.

When I put it back down and tried turning it on, it booted.

It came to the setup screen with something about the CMOS, asking me if I wanted to enter setup or change something.
    I chose startup and Windows loaded fine.

I get a message on the desktop though.

It says something about the date and time settings, and then "software disabled"

Sorry can't remember the exact wording, as I'd have to restart my computer, which I can't do just now.

What do you guys/gals think :?:

Also, when I put my ear to the keyboard I can hear a kind of ticking sound, like a clock.Just like a wristwatch ticking.Never really noticed this before, is this normal :?:

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I think it's possessed. Wait a minute. Let me have a listen. Just put my ear next to my laptop. All I can hear at the moment is the fans but a bit ago, I could hear what could be described as a watch ticking. It wasn't that regular though. When I open a file or start a process, I hear all kinds of little clicking sounds inside. Laptops aren't incredibly quiet but my laptop (at least since the last disaster) has been well behaved. Somehow, I don't think we've seen the last of your laptop "expressing itself". :eek:

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now I dont have a laptop but wouldnt that ticking sound signify the HDD just going as it should do? unless yours is possessed. :eek:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life