My laptop died RIP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, May 16, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was replying to a post here ealier, when suddenly my laptop died.

The desktop dissapeared and just left multicoloured lines acress the screen.Kinf of like when the reel runs out on a projectile film, that's how it looked.

I switched the machine off manually, but it wouldn't start when I tried again.

Knew this laptop wasn't right, but didn't know what to do about it.The fans been quite loud, the laptops been hot, and recently I head gurgling noises which sounded to be from the hard disk.

Don't know what to say really, just don't know what to do :cry:

Where do I start, what do I do people :?: :cry:

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Doesn't sound hopeful, Flex. When you say it won't start, do you mean that you can hear power being applied but no screen image or other activity or do you mean it's as if there's no power applied at all? If you hit the power button and there's absolutely no reaction, it could be the power supply or more likely a fried motherboard. I'm also concerned about the sounds that have been coming from the HDD. I've never heard of that type of sound before but if the inside of your laptop has been getting very hot, the temp would tend to ruin just about everything and could even warp the platters.

You could try putting the HDD in the same type of laptop and seeing if it will fire up. You could also open up the laptop (at this point, what do you have to lose) and looking for obvious signs of burning. I had a CPU light up right before my eyes once in an old Packard Bell machine. To tell you the truth, I'm not really hopeful for a resurrection on this one, flex. Wait for more opinions to come in. I'm not an expert on laptops and maybe there's something to be done here. Other than that, in your shoes, I'd call tech support and tell them the tale.

If the laptop is truly dead and you need to recover the data from the HDD, pray it will work in another laptop and that it's undamaged. If it won't and especially if it's physically damaged...recovering the data will not only be very difficult but very expensive.

Wish I had better news for you, buddy. I just hope I'm wrong in pronouncing such a grim prognosis. :(

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I share your grief Flex. Sorry to hear your machine's gone down.

And I would never suggest "spilling" a glass of Coke over it quickly before contacting your insurance company, Mate, would I ? :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Thats a dreadful suggestion - whoever heard of such a thing? Especially when the glass of coke was spilled :tune , in the reaction to try to save the laptop it got knocked off the desk onto the floor?

Cant IMAGINE how these things happen.... :hhhmmm

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Never have I heard such suggestions to an upstanding person like the Flex man. I know that he would never do such a wicked thing :? :wink:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

The warranty ran out couple of months back (only had a year).

Apparently the company who makes them, Multivision, has been acquired by another company.

Anyway as I have no warranty, makes no difference.

I should have sent this back a while ago, but never did, as there was never anything actually wrong with it, it machine just didn't feel right to me.

I honestly feel like throwing this thing in the bin and forgettin about it.I have a backup of the data on me desktop witht he most important files.

Sure the thing cost me over a grand and I've had it merely a year.

aaaarrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh :!: :x don't need this cr@p

Probably try and sort it myself rather than pay some other rip off merchant to sort it.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That's the good news.
    And that's the bad news. Extended warranties help out in situations like this. Saying that, I also have to say that I don't carry them on all my machines so they'd better last, or else...

Well, take a break. Walk away from it for awhile. When you can approach the machine again with a minimum of passion and destructive energy, return to it and start trying to work it out. Let us know what you find. Good luck, flex.

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I just ordered an anti-static band, should get it in a couple of days.

Sure thing Trip, I'm just leaving it alone at the moment.Just can't be bothered thinking about it, stress too much.

Especially at the minute I'm trying to prepare for an exam and pass mock exams.Just heard yesterday that I ahven't been made permanent in my job so may be out of work any time soon.And my loan providers my for course are banging on at me to start paying it back.

What a wonderful world :!:
    :brancard

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

IT'S ALIVE :!: , IT'S ALIVE :!: , IT'S ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :!: :!: :!:
    :P

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

hehe
    great mate, what happened? :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Flex ??? :eek:

12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Unplugged the laptop from the mains last night, thought it might help for some reason.
    Anyway earlier on I was tinkering with the laptop, turning it over looking underneath it etc etc.

Some dirt fell out from under the keyboard, just bits of well bits of stuff.

thought nothing of it, it always happens, cleaned hte screen of the bits, put the laptop back on me desk.

Just before going downstairs I tried the power button one last time.Lo and behold the thing turned on :eek:

All the data's there.I'm going to do another latest abckup now.

Will keep an eye on it from now on, put a fan near it.I was real humid in my room last night, like a greenhouse as I'm int he loft.

Here's hoping it'll be fine from now on.

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yes Jak :?: :D

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Oh, nothing :oops:

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

could of just been a simple case of overheating, my laptop does that occasionaly when im watching a DVD in bed, because the quilt blocks the fan ports, it just eventually shuts down, immediatly turning it back on wont work as it will still be pushing 60-70 degrees

16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Watching DVD's in bed :eek: :eek: :eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

bah, the cheek! :)

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

How did bits of dirt get under the keyboard? Anyway, glad to hear the good news, Flex. As you know Pheonix, it's not a great idea to block the fans. Maybe you laptop will just shut down and maybe something will melt. Just a thought.

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Indeed, thank god for Intel processors is all I can say :)
    Intel processors dynamicly slow there clock speed if they start getting too hot rather than causing damage to themselves and the motherboard, a life saver no doubt :)

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Especially for hard core gamers. I've seen what happens to AMD processors after a particularly vicious game of Unreal Tournament! :eek: