My job hunting as a junior has finally come to an end!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jvanassen, May 1, 2012.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Great read! Thanks!

You're doing great, keep it up! Also remember that you're worth what you know so don't let the desire for more money stop you from taking new tasks and responsibilities. It's much better to be underpaid than overpaid.

In regards to SQL Server, download a trial from here: Download SQL Server | SQL Express Download | Microsoft SQL Server Trial and Adventure Works sample database from here: Microsoft SQL Server Product Samples: Database - Download: Adventure Works for SQL Server 2012 and look for various tutorials online. Now, you've got a SQL Server instance, data to play with and some tutorials to follow. Don't even attempt to learn SQL Server without sample data to work on (took me 3 years to realise that).

Disclaimer: I'm recommending 2012 version of SQL Server because older versions are not widely available without Technet or MSDN subscription (or so I think).

I can't really help with programming (application) support because you've not given enough information as to what languages are used and what would be the scope of your responsibilities. My current role is primarily application support. I look after all our custom made software and infrastructure it runs on so if you have any questions, ask away!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Scimac

Scimac Bit Poster

Sounds like its going really well. Reading this has inspired me to stop procastinating and to get my head down to study for my certifications. It's been a year since I picked up my A+ text book and I'm still no closer to taking the exam.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys and thanks for your recommendations LukeP. I've installed SQL Server 2012 on the work PC but haven't had a chance to play around with it just yet.

Had another chat with my boss today and now understand what he was getting at with this chat.....basically when I was looking for a job I had my A+ and N+ then decided to crack on with the 70-680 next and get my MCITP by taking the 70-685 aswell as I felt having a desktop support cert would help me find a job.

Well anyway as you know I now have a job and to be honest I've been really slow at getting on with my 70-680. All I've really done is watched the whole Proffessor Messer series of videos on the 70-680 whilst I've been commuting. I haven't really read any of the Microsoft book I bought.

Anyway my point to this is that basically my boss has said to me that it's all well and good me doing these desktop support certs and that he doesn't mind me doing them and that it certainly ticks the boxes but he said he knows already that I know what I'm doing when it comes to desktop support. So basically his saying he wants me to push on and do something a bit more advanced that I don't know such as SQL.

What would you do if you were in my situation, continue to try and get the MCITP or leave it and do a more advanced cert which could possibly get me a payrise it seems

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would say do the certs that will help you in your career... I know its a bit vague but if you like SQL, learn it. I'll tell you right now, the SQL certs are hard, I have a buddy who's a DBA and from what he says, they're not a walk in the park.

What I would do is get as much experience as you can with SQL or AD, Exchange and then follow through with the certs. Those exams are tough, but when you work with the technology, it makes things a lot easier.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    LukeP likes this.
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do both mate :)

Sounds like a good job you have landed, congrats :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. jvanassen

Yea see my boss was sort of insinuating that if i continued with the MCITP i would only really be ticking a box, rather than helping my career as he believes i already know all my desktop support stuff, i know what his saying and its something that i was sort of thinking about myself. While im playing around with Exchange and AD at work atm it makes sense to try and do the certs at the same time like you said.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, only problem is the Windows 7 exams finish next year. I just feel like im wasting my time doing them.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I plan to do the 70-680 at some point. I have read through the study material and I used it when I was designing an OS build for one of my customers.

I used Windows Deployment Services etc. and it was a big help for the whole project.

You could blitz it in a few weeks and then get stuck into the SQL stuff after that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. ThatLondonFella

ThatLondonFella Bit Poster

I'm finding W3School's SQL tutorials quite handy. I am finding it very enjoyable and intuitive.

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+ and Network+
  9. jvanassen

Have definitely decided now im going to put the 70-680 on the back burner for the time being and try and work on studying the 70-640 on Active Directory as it makes sense while im using it at work. Also going to slowly do the odd bit of playing around the SQL to keep my boss happy, but i would rather learn everything there is to know about AD & Exchange at the moment while im using them at work and really i only know the basics.

Aswell as using these at work im going to set myself up some VM's and get playing around with it and get a book ordered to work through.

10. PAT

PAT Banned

Well done on the job. SQL is a skill in demand, wish I had the opportunity you have sounds like a good company to work for :)

11. jvanassen

Just been looking through these today and seem very helpful and easy to understand. Alot of commands to take in with SQL though lol.

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You'll pick it up quickly if you practice in a lab or something of sort ;)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. jvanassen

Thanks dude, this is something ive said to alot of people that ive been lucky to finally find a job to get my foot on the ladder but ive been VERY lucky to actually find it with a decent company.

On another note, the next chapter to this is that ive just spoke to my boss and told him i was going to put my 70-680 on the back burner for the time being and crack on with some SQL and AD exam and he was really happy lol. He said he could do with someone else here who knows the ins and outs of AD and Exchange.

He told me to pick out a few books i need and he said he would get them ordered for me. But then he found a Windows server 2003 AD book (70-294) in the cupboard and gave that to me and said actually theres not to much difference between 2003 and 2008 AD. Is this true?

Do you think studying the Microsoft 2003 AD book and watching the 2008 AD CBT nugget videos would be enough to take the exam?