My First Year In IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

An old thread but a good thread... and it shows how long since I have been around ....

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

I think you had realized your dreams and were determined to achieve success as certified Microsoft Engineer. Your planning was brilliant and awesome and one should learn from this post. I hope you achieve your next feet.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA
  3. msgang

msgang Banned

how is ur career looking now? you enjoy it? how is the salary and what ya do now.

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Don't compare yourself to Cragie. He is a mutant, a freak. No-one can possibly learn that fast, except for Craigie. He is what we all aspire to be. He is SuperCraigie. Half-man, half-computer (and I'm not sure that the half-man part isn't a computer in disguise).

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. msgang

msgang Banned

who said i am comparing my self to him? I saw this post and was like interesting i just want to know how he is doing now, careers are full of ups and downs. Do not matter how good someone is sometimes it is up sometimes its down just like a roller coaster.

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Haha mate, just lucky enough to love going to work everyday!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Been with the same company for 2.5 years now, had a promotion to Senior Engineer and delivered three large projects back to back. One was for five major banks using VMware, Exchange 2010 DAG, SQL Database Mirrors, DFS R and the usual SAN stuff, Cisco ASA firewalls in 3 tier HA.

Since then I have had another promotion and work in pre sales designing solutions, which I have been doing for about 9 months now. Most of the work is VMware, SAN, Exchange 2010 DAG but with the focus being on HA. Working on a really large design right now, using 2 x HP 3PAR F400 with synch replication using remote copy, VMware SRM to name a few of the goodies.

Salary wise increased my earnings by 41% over the past year, so if it was a school report, doing OK but could be better!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
    onoski likes this.
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done Craig as am always motivated by your post and hard work ethics:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Thank you for sharing this craigie,

I am also in my first 12 months of IT and going well too, I sometimes think... Dayum this is boring and I want to use my newly acquired but like with any job, experience is everything. This has given me the inspiration to keep stabbing at it!

Kind regards Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  10. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

I've been cranking away for just over a year in IT and seen 21% pay increase over my old Job so thats good :-)

currently getting stuck into microsoft qualifications and we'll see where that leads me!

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice Craigie, to get to that point, it took me 5 years!! But it just shows that no matter what, if you really want something, you can get it done!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

That was really inspirational to read, thanks for sharing!

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  13. mitufrim

mitufrim Bit Poster

any updates on how things are now?

14. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

Hello. I am new here and this thread was the first I clicked. It was a very interesting and inspiring read, thanks.

One thing though. Did you really get into IT in your 30s? The reason I ask is because I'm soon 28 and wondering if it's too late for me.

Cheers. Thanks again.

WIP: A+
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Argh! Posts like this really get my goat. Do you feel like you need to be taken down the yard and shot? You're still in your twenties, of course it's not too late!! I know people that switched in their fifties. The only restriction to your ambitions is yourself, so put your foot to the floor and get cracking ;)

Ps yes, did
    Pps, I think he's been promoted at least twice since his last update

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yep I did start in IT when I was 30, now 36 with a few grey hairs!

Just a quick update on how things are going, I'm now a Solutions Architect specializing in VMware for one of Europe's largest IT providers. So what do I do now? Well, I'm designing infrastructures for fairly reasonable size environments, last one was 7,500 users.

Started a blog called vmfocus.com and like a few fellow CertForum folks have been awarded vExpert title.

Have a read and drop me an email, always happy to answer any questions you may have.

17. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hey craigie, love the thread and love the fact that your 36 in a completly selfish way!!
    I'm 31 and have my A+ under my belt and im 2/3 through thr N+ video's so im close to booking the exam.
    I dont work in IT but i LOVE IT, every minute of my spare time is spent either tinkering or revising.

I have been a civil servant for the past 10 years so job seurity is a must and with me having a part time wife and a 3 year old child to support, i cant really take a drop in wages/conditions so im currently scouring the net for jobs in councils/government departments etc which narrows down my search somewhat.

Anyway, im determined to get into IT and reading your thread only confirmed my thoughts, its never too late and age doesnt matter in the IT game.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  18. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

This thread is really inspiring. It just goes to show that with dedication, sacrifice and hard work, you can accomplish great things. I'm going to start on my ITIL v3 Foundation. Then after that it's CCNA.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  19. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

PHP:
    Sorry to cause annoyance, but yeah, to answer your question, I do feel like I should be taken down the yard.

I have poor confidence after terrible early life decisions and having never really done anything with my life.

I'm a night manager at a hotel and that's the extent of my achievements.

It's taken forever for me to mature and have ambition, and to want to do something with my life, but always assumed that despite the fancy tales of people making it later in life, the reality is that you have to do it young, before the up and comers overtake you.

Thanks for the encouragement though. I appreciate it!

That's good to hear. However, how much experience did you have prior to your start in IT?

I have practically none outside of basic entry level stuff, like what RAM is for, building a desktop, installing an OS, software, etc.

I had a small passion for IT in my early teens when we got our first desktop, but never did anything with that passion, and over time I told myself I wasn't intellectually equipped to tackle advanced stuff, and the younger generation know more so I'll never catch up in raw knowledge and skills, and just gave up.

Recently, I got the desire again because I'm sick of having to Google for answers and watch YouTube vids for problems I should know how to fix, and want to gain a lot of knowledge to help myself, but if it could lead to an actual career for once in my life, then brilliant!

I'm planning on getting A+ and going through that. After that though, I'm unsure. I want to pursue networking, but want to get highly advanced knowledge of Windows first for a desktop support position.

Any other help and advice would be great

One last thing I promise, but is there any way for me to gain IT experience, because right now I have none. I work at night at a hotel and there's practically no IT involved.

Thanks for reading!

WIP: A+
  20. dstorey

dstorey Bit Poster

This is a great read!

Especially useful as I am at the beginning stages of my career, only a few months in.

Thank you for posting!