My First question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jayatk9, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jayatk9

jayatk9 New Member

Hi Everyone and let me just take this opportunity to say thanks to all those who replied to my introductory post.

My first question is simply this....

Is the A+ certification for dummies 3rd edition by Ron Gilster going to contain all the information I would need to pass the current 301 and 302 exams?

From what I have seen, it appears VERY much more basic than some other books (i.e myers or sybex) but at a glance it DID appear to contain all the relevant goodies.

Any advice on this one?

Thanks in advance

Certifications: CompTIA A+ CompTIA N+
    WIP: Maybe MCDST? Help!!
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to admit that I actually have a copy of that book (although I've never done the A+).

I think that whilst it will cover most of the subjects, the exams objectives have been updated since that books publication so it may not necessarilly have everything.

I usually read the dummies books just for an overview of the subject and then use something more technical to really get to grips with it.

I'm sure that by now you will have realised that the Mike Meyers book is what is usually recommended around here, and, as I'm sure others will tell you, it is a really easy read despite it's size!

8)

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with Si - just don't drop it on your foot!!

The 'for dummies' series is a good basic intro, but without a bit more in-depth technical knowledge and some hands-on fun, I don't think anyone could really do the A+ justice.

Have fun, and good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As you pointed out most people tend to go with the Sybex or Myers book. I personally found the Sybex book excellent and it covered most of the subjects needed to pass both exams. TBH most cert books don't cover 100% of what you need to pass exams.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011