My CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Josiahb, Jun 7, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To answer your question seriously... your skill set is "worth" whatever an employer will pay for it. And that all depends on the employer. After all, your skill set is worth exactly as much as my skill set is worth if we're both applying to be a fry cook at McDonalds.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Very true, perhaps worth was the wrong word, what I'm trying to work out (and this may still be a how long is a piece of string type question) is what 'level' within the IT industry should I really be aiming to put myself with my next role? Does my experience etc suggest that aiming for more server side roles is too much of a stretch? Or am I wasting my talents in desktop support and should I be aiming higher?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I will admit that I haven't looked at your CV... but if you've done light server administration as a desktop support tech, you should certainly apply for server admin jobs. If you haven't done server administration but want to, you can still apply for those jobs... but also shoot for desktop support jobs where you CAN help out doing light server administration. Sometimes, you won't know whether that's a possibility until you interview for the job... but that's what interviews are for!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thanks BM, think thats what I needed to hear, I've been getting a bit down on myself and loosing motivation recently. Even without reading my CV you've managed to provide good and sensible advice (as always). That backed up with the fact I had a call from a recruiter today whose putting me forward for a fairly kick ass sounding role I'm feeling a bit better about things now!

I'll continue the search with renewed energy and a tweaked CV!

This is not to say that further comments here aren't welcome, if anybody should happen to glance at my CV and spot anything horrendous please let me know! Likewise any other career advice is more than welcome!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Shuayb

Shuayb Bit Poster

Hi,

I had a quick look at your cv and personally, i would put the certifications after your profile as an eye catcher. I would remove the section on secondary education as it's not relevant but do keep a copy with all info, just in case you're asked by an employer or agency.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: SSCP, CCNA Security