My Cv

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 5aq1b, Apr 4, 2007.

1. laup

laup Byte Poster

the fact i did the course, cause it shows i havent brain dumped it.
    which is precisely why i had put the course down aswell.

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Negative. You'd be surprised how many instructors advise their students to braindump the exam to be sure they pass. In any case, anybody can sit a class, so to an employer, saying that you've attended the CCNA Academy really doesn't mean much at all.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The thing is having all these cert like CCNA is great for sure no doubt about that, but if you dont have the experience in the CCNA area its hard to find a job or for an employer to trust you right away because lets face its like you said earlier; braindumps exist and the employers know that.

Also some people might say that if they get a chance at an interview they will be able to answer all the questions, well maybe so but we all know that answering the question and actually doing the the question scenario is very different and that's one thing that alot of interviewers cant really check because lets face it they dont really know what we are capable of untill we actually get hired.

This is why the employers higher people: One, for experience and two, for potential.

Honestly laup you seem like a smart guy and I am sure you know your stuff but in my experience and I dont have much of it yet but like I said in my experience the actualy work experience and your potential is what gets you the job and not so much what kinds of certs you and I possest. To be honest my employer didnt even know what certs I had, he didnt even know I had any certs, he found out after I got the job that I have told him that I've done the exams and passed and look I only have the most basic certs.

Anyways hope this helps, and good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. laup

laup Byte Poster

I would've thought the opposite instructors shouldnt persuade to dump.
    So michael is there anything remotely wrong with my CV ? Layout wording, etc

5. BosonMichael

You're right, instructors *shouldn't* persuade to dump. But some do. Some promote braindumps without even realizing they're doing it. Just about everyone has known someone who has used braindumps accidentally simply because they didn't know they were a braindump.

Haven't looked it it in detail... just had time to give my first impressions. Might get a chance to look at it more tonight.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. laup

laup Byte Poster

You ever get time to have good ole look at my CV Michael?
    Or anyone else wanna shed some light on the situation.

7. BosonMichael

Shoot, I keep forgetting to do it... if something's not right in front of me, I tend to forget. I'll print it and lay it on my desk...

8. laup

laup Byte Poster

ha ha cheers mate :biggrin

9. BosonMichael

Overall, your CV looks fine... there's no "standard" way to do it. However, I would offer one suggestion. It is difficult to quickly correlate the information in your Personal Profile with the information under Experience & Training. Perhaps there is a way that you can list the relevant information together, such as (and excuse the formatting):

2006-2007 Portland College - Student
    Acquired IT certifications while performing work placement at Some Company UK (below).

2006-2006 Some Company UK - Desktop Engineer
    Provided support to 2000 users, including troubleshooting problems with printing, Lotus Notes, Windows XP, Windows 98, and assorted hardware components. Responsible for tape backup, inventory, system rebuilds, and PC auditing.

2003-2006 Undergone Operations
    Had operations performed which caused me to be unable to work. These issues have all been resolved.

2002-2002 Somewhere LTD - Service Tech (or whatever your job title was)
    Refurbished, repaired, and rebuilt Nokia mobile telephones using diagnostic software and hardware. Learned to troubleshoot and repair problems in a timely manner. Completed trouble reports with proper documentation.

...etc. Makes the CV flow better than having to piece everything together. Then again, this is just my opinion. Others' opinions may vary. :)

10. laup

laup Byte Poster

Yes michael ive now had arguements covered for both ways.
    I did infact have it set out exactly like that before hand.

Like u said its a matter of opinion. If thats all thats wrong with it then thats good, as you saw someone did actually take notice of my CV.

I have two layouts of it one posted and the one layout as you said. I guess it will all depend on the day :p

Thanks alot for having a look, apprectiate it.

11. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Have managed to touch my CV up a little, can anybody assist further?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Seems good to me. the only thing I might change is to condense the jobs prior to Lloyds. Simply list them as dates and then place and Job title. Omit what the job involved, unless you feel it is particullarly relevant to the position your are applying for, in which case you could include it in your covering letter.

8)

13. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Thanks,
    How about this, i think i'm finally getting there?

Attached Files: