My cv Opinions please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 16, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am hoping it'll work out for me too. I hate my bloody job even though they pay me decent money. I realise I will probably end taking a pay cut to get into IT but I'd rather do a job I like and get crap wages than get paid highly and be pissed of all day long.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Once you get your foot in the door you can move up the career ladder quickly if you have the right attitude and work hard (I’m sure you will), there are people that I know who just expect to get a pay rise because they have X years experience but it doesn’t work that way.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Coma toast

Coma toast Bit Poster

A Big time lurker (sites been a great help thanks!) here with a couple of questions-

I've noticed a few of you mentioning how important Personal statements are on CV's. What I have been doing is writing cover letters for each job and sending them with my CV. For example I may write the cover letter in the body of the email and send the CV as a .doc attachment or on a job site, write a covering letter in the forms section and upload my CV separately or post a covering letter with a CV.

In all cases for all intents and purposes I always have a covering letter/personal statement/introduction as part of my application but it is never part of my CV i.e. not written into the .doc file. Is this going to hurt me a lot, do I need to actually write an introduction in as part of my CV as well?

Secondly, it really isn't needed to have my references on my CV or I can just put "available upon request"?

WIP: A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would always send out a covering letter to explain why I am interested in a position with a company or as a reply to a job advert.

As I have found out the last few days references don't have to be on the CV you can put available on request.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Coma toast

Coma toast Bit Poster

So doing a covering letter (as I always do) is fine? I don't need an extra letter as part of my CV?

WIP: A+