My company is paying for training but....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by derkit, Jan 3, 2008.

?

Is Net+ useful for 70-270?

1. Yes, you must do Net+ before 70-270

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but you can do without it with not much difficulty

16.7%
  3. No, its not necessary but is useful

66.7%
  4. No, they're like chalk and cheese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other...

16.7%
  1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My company is being rather flush with cash and so we're being asked to submit training requirements, technical and non-technical. I have my own cert path that I'm following at the moment but I'm trying to get the most of them as possible, and from there I have a dilemma:

I hold A+ and 70-271 cert, and was prepared to study 70-272, 70-270 and Network+ by self-study.

I can get training for 70-272 (which I'm definitely going for) and possibly 70-270 but not Net+ (as its not in my direct line of work).

After 70-272, what is best next? The training company asks for Net+ as a prerequiste for the 70-270 training but is it needed? Does it make life easier??

If I can work it out.... we may have a poll as well :)
    Edit: damn me, we have a poll!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You don’t have to pass the Network+ before taking the 70-270 but it is helpful. You do have some commercial experience so that will also help towards the 70-270. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my opinion the Network+ isn't required, however it would be useful. But I would recommend the Network+ before attempting the 70-290 & the 70-291 and so on...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you HAVE to have Network+ first? No. Should you? Yes.

I'm hesitant to answer "Yes, but you can do without it with not much difficulty"... because to be quite honest, it CAN be difficult without having that Network+ foundation of knowledge. But neither can I answer "Yes, you must do Net+ before 70-270" because you're not required to do so.

Thus... I choose "Other".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

expected someone to pick a hole in my poll :D

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.
    Must admit, I did have the same answer in the back of my mind (why else ask for it as a possible prerequiste!)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293