My C.V

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hi guys, my name is Georgie. I am a self-employed Carpenter/Contracts manager.I hold the CompTIA A+. Taking the great leap into the I.T industry. I am trying to get my C.V to a level where employers look at it and take some interest. at the moment I need some mega critisism, and to get a greater understanding of how it should be set out, words that should be used and should not etc. Please please please feel free to add any feed back, as this could really help me. Thanks.

View attachment certforums C.V.doc

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

i have just spoke to an employment agency, she said maybe I should add a little more information regarding my customer service experience.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes in your skills section you should put customer service skills and try and beef it up a bit too. I would also put your work experience under your skills and your qualifications last.

When you say you have been fixing pcs etc was this employed or just because you can? You say it was for a year beef that up you could even put that down as work experience as you were doing it for people who contacted you for your help.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

2008 – 2009 City & Guilds
    NVQ level 2 Wood occupations/Site Carpentry.

I think it is not necessary on your cv when you are trying to move out from the industry, nobody will care that you did NVQ Lvl 2 in Carpentry if you are looking for IT Job
    in cv try to focus more on describing your present (office based?) job, and try to find as much IT in it as possible, for example software you were working etc

I'm also not sure about this part: After Eleven years in the Carpentry industry, and the last year as an office/site Contracts manager, I am now looking for a new challenge and a change in direction, agency people think in stupid way: "he was carpenter, what can he know about computers?" and after reading it on the beginning of your cv won't bother reading the rest

while you're still in office based job, go to local college/learndirect and ask for ITQ Lvl 2 (a rather low lewel for IT, it's rather for office based people, a certificate that confirms your knowledge of MS Office, bit higher than ECDL), maybe your company will allow you to do it by "train to gain" programme (some paperwork involved), it is easy to do (if you have good tutor, my was ****e (lask of answers for my e-mails, then after weeks of asking for answer lies that his/her e-mail was broken etc) and had to do few complains, after I got new tutor i did it really fast) and always looks better on cv than A+ on its own, after it try to do as much from "train to gain" as you can, it is for free
    some people would say I am not right, but I'd still put on: "learning towards CompTIA N+" under qualifications

one more thing: justify the font (Background and Hobby), it doesn;t look professional, especially you are looking for an IT job
    in hobby write swimming, cycling i.s.o. Swimming, Cycling, why the big letter?

try to write more description about your office based job, give them what they want, as much about IT as possible

and on top: is Georgie your full name? or is it George?

about the font, change it for something that looks better than arial
    when you send the cv, try to do a pdf version as well, so you can send 2 , .doc and .pdf in case if .doc fails.

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7