My apologies

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jakamoko, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I started a Thread in this Forum recently which I'm sure I don't need to name - it caused issues to be raised that I did not foresee, and as a result had to be locked.

I take full responsibility for the matter, and would like to apologise to anyone who may have been offended or felt threatened by any comments made there-in.

This should NOT reflect on anyone who posted there-in - I should have known better than to start it in the first place.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. dreec

dreec Nibble Poster

Although I can understand why the Admin. on this site have decided to remove the URLs for certain sites posted in the thread started by Jak, I feel the reason given; "illegal nature of site", is misleading.

I can understand why the links have been removed and I am NOT questionning that. As the sign says in my local, "If you want to call time, buy your own pub." I fully respect the admins of this site to make that choice, as I have stated previoulsy, "I may not agree with what you do, but I will defend your right to do it."

However, I feel a couple of points require clarification.

Sites relating to hacking* are NOT illegal.

Information on this sites, regarding how to break into computers is NOT illegal.

Any information you download is NOT illegal.

It is the ACTION of hacking*, someone else's, computer which is illegal

If anyone out there visits any of these sites, which can be easily found via major search engines, you are not breaking the law and you are not commiting a criminal act.

* Hacking is a term used by the media to describe computer criminals, cyber vandals and just about anyone else it decides to demonise. In the traditional sense of the word hacking means "The art of learning and exploring computer and network systems in order to fully understand them."

Just one more thing;
    If Jaks thread has been locked because of the way it was going and "illegal nature of sites" can I just ask why Phil's thread re cable modems has not also been removed, when the link provided takes you to the full story, which includes a link to the software and hardware required to steal bandwidth from your ISP?

(Nothing personnal Phil, it always seems to be me and you banging heads)

Certifications: To many to list here, to few to matter
    WIP: None
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oh no, not again..... what have I done ??? :cry:

Seriously, I have no problems about my original Post being locked (as you can see, about 2-3 posts in, and I was suggesting closing it myself).

One of my main reasons for posting the apology afterwards was because I am in the fortunate position of being a Senior Moderator within CertForums - a position I am proud and honoured to carry out.

With that in mind, and given the clear stance we take on the front end of our website (ie the Disclaimer), I felt with hindsight it was an unwise move I had made in starting the Thread.

However, as you rightly point out, dreec - I asked nothing illegal, and would never have considered doing so, but perhaps I should have kept my pursuits to myself. Clearly I can, if I see fit, use Google, etc to find out almost unlimited information on any subject. That is a matter for me and me alone, I now reaslise.

What pleases me through all this is that this seems to have become a valuable lesson in Forum management/administration and moderation. We are all big enough and ugly enough around here to know what goes on in the "real" world of the Internet, to varying degrees. No-one is trying to deny the stuff that can and does take place. But SimonV, to my mind, was 100% correct to lock the Thread - it was potentially heading in a direction that is not relevant to what CertForums is about.

We all know there are places to go to find what your after. To do so is at the individuals own risk. The individual can decide that. That is the individual's right.

But I will never do anything that could jeopordise this site in any way, and if I do, than I am happy to face any consequences that follow. As I said above, this has been a lesson to me at least about moderating forums.

That must only be a good thing for all concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The above I agree, but the sites were not removed due to hacking content. The sites content included warez searches, serial searches, cracks and mp3 music downloads not hacking.

I am legally liable for anything that gets posted on this forum. By running a forum I automatically assume the role of "Publisher". Warez, serials, cracks and mp3 downloads will not be published here and any links of this type will immediately and without explanation be modified or deleted.

you have answered this in your own comments:

BTW, dreec. I think I like you already :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. dreec

dreec Nibble Poster

Thank you SimonV for giving me the opportunity to air my views without fear of reprisals.
    I was not aware that the links were to warez sites, which although still not illegal (the site and content), do contain information which can ONLY be used for illegal purposes.

I agree that removing the links was the correct choice.
    (I am sure you will sleep better knowing I agree with you :wink: )

With that in mind I apologise 100% and did not mean to question your judgement.
    After much thought, I have finally decided on a signature which I feel will explain where I am coming from and my view / stance on the Internet and information.

As I once read, the invention of the world wide web is like the invention of the printing press but puts the power of communication in the hands of the individual rather than the church or state.

Thanks again.

Thanks, in that case I will take that as an invitation to continue 'as is'

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: To many to list here, to few to matter
    WIP: None