Musical Hard Drive!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ice Penov, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Ice Penov

Ice Penov Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

I've got the most intriguing hardware problem I've ever encountered. Here's what happened:

During a normal operation of my desktop computer(PIV 1.7, 256 RAM) a system crash occured. I said to myself--"Oh, crash that's nothin' new"--and resetted the system.

When it tried to boot, during the BIOS initialization, my hard drive started to produce a continuos beeps! The beeps are like a sinus wave, beep-silence-beep-silense-beep...

I know what you all thing--these are NOT system beeps, from the system speaker. IT IS the hard drive itself! I have disconected everything except the hard drive and I am certain that it comes from my hard drive.

Anyone had heard of this "musical hard drive"?!

The hard drive is Maxtor Diamond 40 gigs.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I have everything in that drive!

Regards,
    Ice

Certifications: SCJP, SCWCD
    WIP: Security+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sounds like it is playing its funeral music :(

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I was gonna say similar, that is not a healthy sound. To be honest, I wouldn't fancy your chances of retreiving data easily either.

Another salient lesson in performing regular backups. I hope we're wrong here Ice.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Ice Penov

Ice Penov Bit Poster

Update,

from Maxtor website I was told that their products does NOT contain any devices that can produce sounds.

But, I know that I'm hearing this. I'm not going insane...well, yet.

See ya,
    Ice

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well a hard drives not designed to make sound
    but it can do if it breaks :)

but if they are actually beebs, then it is more likely the mobo or something
    open up the case and track down the noise, if its from the system speaker then its the mobo

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Ice Penov

Ice Penov Bit Poster

Hi,

Its not the motherboard cable, cause I have tried it with just plugged in power cable 9v(or was it 12) cable. When I put my ear on the drive I can actually track down the sound inside the hard disc.

So, if maxtor company assures me that their hard drives can't make sounds, that what the heck is making this one? I'll open the disc and trace it. Maybe i'll post a pic and sound of the disc.

See ya,
    Ice