Multiple VPN connections

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Ally, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Hey people!!
    Basically i started working this week as a systems engineer and have a quick question regarding VPN connections. My currently assigned project is to roll out MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager) 2005 to our clients. This simply allows us to be instantly alerted to any problems that may arise.
    I simply connect to a share on one of our servers that holds visio diagrams of our clients networks, and use VPN/RDP to gain access and install the software.
    The files have to be downloaded first from our server which can take up to 1 hour and this is where my question is leading. I can have multiple RDP sessions to a number of our clients but if i must VPN into a client network first before using RDP i can only have one active VPN connection (if one is already active it is disconnected). I dont understand why? Can anyone explain please

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What VPN technology are you using?

I don't know about Windows, but with Symantec stuff you can create multiple sessions. At least I think you could (it's been a while). 8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, some more info on your VPN config could help.

I take it with some of clients you have a VPN tunnel between sites so you can get on the servers with remote desktop? Also I’m guessing some sites don’t have this so you have start a VPN connection from your PC? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't have a lot of experience with VPNs but I believe some routers only support one VPN tunnel whereas others support multiple VPN tunnels. I would look at the documentation of your router.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Ally

If you have any questions re MOM then give me a shout, - worked with it since the NetIQ days and presented at Microsoft on the UK launch of MOM 2005.

I have installed MOM (and other software) via a VPN often, it depends on the inbound configuration as to how many tunnels you can have. What we tend to do is designate a "jump off" server on the client site - we then access the jump off server via the vpn tunnel and rdp/vnc our way around the client site as required. Obvious snag with installing software is that you don't want to be copy the software across the tunnel, either get the client to copy the software locally to the jump off server or use something like secureCRT to FTP the files over.

Again - if you have any MOM 2000\2005 queries let me know and i'll be glad to help

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Thanks people for the replies. Thats very interesting MarkN about you having used and presented MOM 2005. Im going to get more information from my boss on Monday (been on holiday most this week) and may very well get back in touch with you if thats ok!! We are carrying out the installs/configurations by using RDP or VPN then RDP/VNC to connect to the clients server. We then access our secure ftp site at the headquarters and copy the files over to the clients server and install. How safe would you say this is??
    All in all the installs have been going not too bad, no major problems as of yet, just a few trickier configurations when ISA is already installed on the server. Probably the most annoying problem that has been ocurring is the clients changing their passwords etc and forgetting to let us know lol
    Thanks Mark, il be back in touch :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293