Multiple SSL certificates on Exchange 2010 with single IP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by thernes, Oct 10, 2011.

1. thernes

thernes New Member

Hi all

We are hosting an Exchange 2010 server for a client and now this client has contacted us and wants to move all of his 400 email-users over to us. Currently, this client only has one domain hosted on the server and is using a UC SSL certificate and this is working just fine. My question is what do we do when he wants to move 8 more domains over? Is it possible for us to install 1 certificate per domain on the server, without having a dedicated IP per SSL?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thomas

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I believe you might be able to use something like a wild card certificate....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

*.com :biggrin

I guess it depends if they are sub domains or not?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. thernes

thernes New Member

No. These are "regular" domains and not sub-domains.
    I have read about the possibility of using host headers and 1 wildcard certificate, but I would actually prefer, if possible, to have the certificate report the actual domain it was used on, instead of using host headers and redirecting the domains.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why do you need a certificate for each domain?

In answer to your question you would need one IP address per SSL cert.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. thernes

thernes New Member

As far as I know, it is only possible to have one common name per certificate and if you use UC certificates, you can then add sudomains and internal domain names and IP's

Roger that

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you are hosting there domain then I would hope that you know that you can have oudles of sub domains and one primary domain.

You then only need a SAN SSL for the primary domain to work with Exchange 2010 for example I could have the following:

craigie.com (Primary)
    craigie.co.uk
    craigie.biz
    craigie.org

You would still recieve emails from the other domains but when you reply, it would come from craigie.com unless otherwise specified on the individuals malibox policy.

Also, end users would go to https://mail.craigie.com/owa to access emails and setup iPhones etc.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. thernes

thernes New Member

Well, this is a rather large company and they own several smaller compaies, so all the smaller companies have their own domain names;

E.g

companyone.com
    anothercompany.net
    wejustboughtthiscompany.com
    shortcompany.com
    etc., etc.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Doesn't matter, same principal applies.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5