Multihoming & Alternate IP Configuration

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ScoobyDoo, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hi,

Can somebody please help clarify something for me?

When you configure an IP address on a computer, there are several options available. One of the most confusing is the Alternate Configuration / Additional IP address facility.

From my understanding, the Alternate IP Address is used where you need to connect a computer to two PHYSICALLY separate networks - only one of which has DHCP. The main network's IP address is dynamically assigned while the second network's is static. (via the alternate tab)

If, however, I wanted to move a computer between two (or more) physical networks - none of which has DHCP, I would set up a main IP address statically & use the 'Advanced' button on the TCP/IP properties screen to set up additional static addresses.

Can anyone confirm or deny the correctness of my understanding?

Also, I see that there is a TCP/IP filtering advanced option in the advanced properties. What is the point of this given that most computers are protected by a firewall? It appears superfluous!

Many thanks

SD

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It has been my experience that this config can cause problems... packets can be sent using the address that the rest of the network doesn't recognize.

Your reasoning behind the Alternate IP setting being used when no DHCP server is found is accurate. If no DHCP server is found, the Alternate IP is used; if no Alternate IP is specified, an APIPA address will be used.

Cuz some aren't. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!