MTA - windows server administration fundamentals

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Timostag, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

I'm booked to go on a week long course as part of my apprenticeship in a fortnight to do MTA: Windows Server Fundamentals.

I don't think I know much at all about servers or windows server OS (I use AD at work, as 1st line) but that's all I know. I use a RDP to access AD (I'm told by another apprentice at work who does work in a team that regularly work with servers that the AD we use runs on 2003.

Can anyone recommend any websites/books I can have a look at (basic level stuff) so I can have a look and work out what I do understand and what I dont.

I've got an old netbook that I might try and put windows server on to play with but I'm not sure if I get a licence key for that with my course so I might install ubuntu server...is this a good idea or is this likely to confuse me more?!?

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Microsoft provides a trial version of all their server products that you can use for 180 days, then you just reinstall it and go again.
    You need a 64 bit CPU though to install it.
    Here's the link for 2008 server R2
    Download Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (180 days) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Most of us would normally install that within a virtual environment such as virtualbox, for which you need not only a 64bit CPU, but on with virtualisation extensions. I doubt your netbook has those, but maybe you have a slightly more powerful desktop as well?
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Ubuntu is massively different; it's completely worth learning, but not for this purpose.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would just like to add to what FlashDangerpants said, you can also refer to technet... I personally use it a lot in conjunction with the books.

In terms of books, I normally use the MS Press books or the inside out books. If you go to Amazon, and type the exam number, you'll see all these books appear. Another good way to help with your studies is to use Computer Based Training like Trainsignal and CBT Nuggets.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA