MS certs overhaul

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Nyx, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Anyone keeping up with MS certs?
    Seems all will expire in favor of role-based certs:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/community-blog-post.aspx?BlogId=8&Id=375282
    All new certs seems to be focused around Azure, maybe I'm not searching right but can't see any exams that would relate for example to AD only? Never mind all those server roles you have out of the box in all versions...
    If anyone did any of the new exams please share your thoughts.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yeah I looked into this awhile back MS are really trying to shove Microsft 365 down peoples throats.. they seem to not realise that having AD in the cloud is not an option for many businesses. Knowing about on-prem stuff like AD and Exchange Server is still relevant and will be for along time to come.

Aamir Rock likes this.
  3. Aamir Rock

Aamir Rock New Member

I second that, what Microsoft is doing is making decisions on the bases of Azure and 365 and pushing companies to buy the subscription base model not every company wants to change so rapidly and just giving 3 months to complete all the certification for MCSAs is not great for those who have invested time in studying for MCSA and are on their first or 2nd exam.

Certifications: MCSA, MTA, CompTIA Network Plus, MSc
  4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

JK2447 likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

MS certification is part their sales arm in reality. That is the fact folks, education or testing simply isn't their main goal.

It can take years to complete some of the tracks, and they routinely mess with them for no real reason.

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I know what you’re saying Dave but everything is like that really. Nothing is realy free. You do get knowledge out of it
    I appreciate different opinions. I would agree with half of this. Any vendors education is sales related. And certification. Sure. It costs us so it’s sales. Not disagreeing.

What I would say is education is mutually beneficial because you get the knowledge and hopefully piece of paper. I’ll never forget my first. My 70290 XP exam with Bill Gates signature on it :)

Exams can be hard. I respect anyone who passes an exam if they’ve studied for it and knows their stuff.

Like anything in life. You can teach yourself. On any subject. Does it matter until you’ve tested yourself. Often not. A doctor. Solicitor. Lawyer. A vet. An electrician. A surveyor. A chemist. You can’t be one without passing exams.

My mates is a detective. He sat exams. Anyone who tells you education and exams don’t matter doesn’t live in the world we live in today. You can be way smarter than someone who sat exams. Sure. But to Get some jobs you need to pass exams. IT can be like this. That’s why most of us have passed IT exams on here. It helped me to work for VMware when I said I’d passed multiple VMware exams. I’m sure @Shinigami would say the same when he started at Microsoft

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I used to not mind passing exams, now I do. However my main point here is they only provide exams on stuff that they want to sell, they actively drop exams on core infrastructure and topics, this is a big issue.

The training materials are not discounted, you pay a fairly high price for them.

I'm not saying its sales because you pay for training, I'm saying its sale because they use certification to actually drive people to the parts their business they want to expand while shutting down certification programs in parts business that are not growth areas, even if they are still money earners.

Its like your detective only getting exams in speeding tickets, and having all the finding criminals exams discontinued.

The bodies that oversee exams in other professions typically are not totally commercial in focus, they represent their members.

If people base most of their education on such curriculum, they risk becoming a misinformed corporate shill or worse an authoritarian drone.

JK2447 likes this.
  8. JK2447

Sorry mate I totally get what you mean and I didn’t mean for my response to sound defensive. Certification can drive you down a path the vendor wants to take you on but then they drive the IT industry as a whole so dare I say know best. I dunno.

would you say that you don’t need exams now because you’re at the top of your game and know what you want to do? Cos you sat a fair few in your day didn’t you including Microsoft. Everyone at VMware still sits them and we’re not looking for new jobs, because we like to learn and prove to ourselves that we know as much as we think we do. It gives me confidence in what I know

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  9. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Certs and experience is always going to be better then one or the other. I know loads of people that have 20 years experience but then when you look in to it they have been doing the same role and tasks for 20 years so really they have one years experience just repeated 20 times.
    They have not learnt new skills or anything and just know what they need to do to do there job which they learnt in the first year, so don't let the X years of experience fool you. It depends what they have been doing for all those years.

Certifications: A few.
    Juelz, Pseudonym and JK2447 like this.
  10. JK2447

Totally agree Rob. Our place wants both, why wouldn't they, plus in practical terms it's another way to turn 200 job applications into 50 like a degree ha ha

11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Never thought of it like this.. good point.

12. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Oh man great memories

I still have my hard copies of my cert i achieved over a decade ago with Bills signature

Now a days they dont ship you the hard copy which is sad :(

Good memories !

JK2447 likes this.
  13. JK2447

Yeah it’s a shame isn’t it. I actually got a Microsoft credit card thingy too did you?

14. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Yes and a badge

Omg i still got it !!!!

Hahahhahaha

Too bad now a days ms dont ship your certs

JK2447 likes this.