Moving back to the UK!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jayguevara, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jayguevara

jayguevara New Member

Hello all!

First I'd like to say thank you to all the people on this forum, I've been lurking around for a while and been reading other threads and the information I have gained has been invaluable!

As my title says, I'm moving back to the UK soon. I moved to Kenya as as soon as I finished uni (BSc Politics) back in 2005, and landed a job at a firm as a PC technician, basically repairing and/or upgrading components. After about 3 months or so, I worked myself into 1st line support and was there for about 8 months.

It was then that a fantastic opportunity came around and I started my own business manufacturing household plasticware (water bottles etc). I've been doing that ever since. However, now I can see that there is no future in Kenya and although my business is booming, I'm moving back to the UK, and would most definately like to get back into IT as I really enjoyed it.

My question is, would any potential employer look at my time as being self-employed in a cautious way? They might think he'll run off again when another opportunity comes by? To be entirely honest I do miss the 9-5 routine you have with a job as opposed to the 24/7 work when you are self employed!

Also, with only about a years' experience in 1st line support and that being a good few years ago and in a different country, would that hinder my application?

I don't have any certs at the moment, but I'm working towards my A+ and N+ and should have them under my belt by August. I know the MCDST has been retired so I'm thinking of doing the MCTS after the CompTIA certs.

Any advice you folks might be able to give on my situation would be very much appreciated!

2. jayguevara

jayguevara New Member

Forgot to add, that Id be happy working in 1st line support as the first job when I get back, and after reading other threads on the forum thats the kind of jobs that I'll be applying to.

3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Jayguevara,

Welcome to CF:), looks like your plan is right step to take whilst or when you get back to the UK. Starting in a first line role is the best option here and remember experience is the key here and how you market yourself.

So your business is booming and at the same time you said theres no future there. I don't understand this statement:)

Obviously, competition for roles are fierce and hence patience and perseverance is needed. Anyway, all the best and key us informed of your progress.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. jayguevara

jayguevara New Member

Thanks Onoski! You say experience is key here, how would you recommend I market myself? Given that I worked for a short while in 1st line support a few years back. Would any employer even see that as "experience" now? Would the fact that I've kinda forgotten what it was like be a hinderance? What about the self-employment period, would that overshadow the few months "experience"?

Yeah business is booming, when I say theres no future here, its my opinion of the political situation. We have elections here next year, and god only knows what might happen! I'm getting married soon, and this is definately not the kind of place I'd like my kids to grow up in. Hence the reason for me to move back.

I did get the impression that competition is fierce, any idea on how fierce? e.g. how many applications before you get an interview? what sort of waiting time?

Thanks again for your welcome and appreciate the info you have given!

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's fine as I was referring in general terms but would not concentrate on any negatives and just tidy up your CV and go for it. It would also be an investment to get this book below:

Amazon.com: Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions (9780749451967): Martin John Yate: Books

All the best and congrats in advance on your wedding plans:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell