Move on? Or stick around a bit longer? Advice wanted...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Evening all... Apologies in advance for the long winded post...

Just want to get peoples input on my current feelings about my job - will be a bit liberal with details as I don't want to make myself too obvious (never know who reads these!)

Been in my current job 2 and a bit years, it is my first IT job, started as a junior but quickly moved into the main IT support role, small-medium size company (probably about 180+ staff, approx 12 servers in 4-5 different offices currently) and I am the sole IT support guy, in a very small IT team (can count on one hand). I cover pretty much all tiers of IT support ie. deal with all the end user issues, all the server issues, and pretty much everything else in between. Enjoy the actual job, the issue I have is (surprise surprise) with money.

We had reviews etc end of last year, and drew up plans for pay reviews etc which were hopefully to be in place by Christmas, with a few set goals to achieve, first of mine was getting the MCSA which I did nearly a month ago. And currently I still have no idea about this payrise, I have chased it up several times, just never gets anywhere. There was a slight mention of what I would probably go upto, I said it wasnt quite enough and have not heard anything since then... I am currently on just over 19k, and asked for a minimum of 21k, thought this reasonable for what I do... came back with provisional offer of about 20,500, when the next increment was 21,200ish - to me it felt a bit of an insult that they had said I was not worth that little bit extra.
    Another part of my "plan" was to implement a VMware setup, to virtualise current servers and set up an offsite recovery solution as well - now to me that doesnt sound a walk in the park, specially as I would be planning and setting the whole thing up myself, and I have been doing my own testing / learning for the last year or so along side my MCSA studying to prepare for this, as I am very interested in virtualisation and ultimately want to move into this area. This is something I was really looking forward to, and I have started making plans for it, although it consistently seems to get shoved down the list of stuff to do.

Now the main question is - should I stay there, wait indefinitely for a small (in my opinion below market rate) payrise, and hang on until the virtualisation project hopefully takes off and I can put this on my CV, then leave? Or just get out now to somewhere paying a lot more and go somewhere I am appreciated a bit more?? I have felt like this for a few weeks now, and after a few expensive bills recently decided to start applying for jobs - heard back from one already and sounds positive, they are already mentioning interviews. Pay is 23-25k so massive improvement on my current salary, but it is only 5 servers and 75 users (no mention of VMware either) so would it not be a real progression to just go and do the same thing but less servers / users, wondering if I would end up feeling underwhelmed or get bored quickly in this new job I am interested in? Or is that totally the wrong approach to take as I know nothing else about the job yet really? I will continue to apply for all relevant jobs I see, obviously looking for more money and something a bit different maybe as I seem to do a lot of the same stuff day in day out currently...

Give me your opinions please :D

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Its tough to switch just because of money... if you like your job its going to be hard to find another job you like, believe me, I've been there.. Nothing is worse then leaving your current place and going somewhere where you definitely wont like it and just for an increase in salary... money although very important, is not going to make you happy if the job you get sounds boring. I always go by gut feeling, if you feel you need to move on, then you wont have regrets, but if its because of money, well then I really hope you find something good, but its not going to be easy to find a a good position. Some people take a cut in salary when switching jobs just to get the experience they need to move up, I had to do it at one point too..

What do you feel like doing deep down inside? do you feel you need to move? or do you feel offended because of the salary you were offered? I am sure you know this, but IT is always an expense... its not cheap to have an IT department, let alone run one, that's why you'll come across companies where salaries are not what you expect. My opinion would be to weigh out what you currently have and see if you really need a change and it should not be just about the money, it should be about the career first, then money. I am sure you'll make some serious $$$ in your career, but just make sure that when you switch, you'll be happy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I would probably stick it out until you get this virtualisation project done, sounds like it would be good experience. Additionally, although there is more money, i don't think this other jobs sounds like it will be more of a challenge to you.

I was in a similar position late last year, no appraisal, no payrise so i started applying for other jobs. I got offered a new job, for £8k more than i was on, but in between this i found out there was a major project in the pipeline for me, and also the job didn't sound EXACTLY like i wanted, so i didn't take it. This was in December, and i have now had my payrise, which will be backdated, and i have completed a project which is going to be a good talking point at any future interviews.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. mitufrim

mitufrim Bit Poster

how long will this virtualization project go on for?

also if they do not value u why should you value them,

jump ship but go for a more challenging role which will give you more cash.

you deserve way more than what you get paid.

but hey u get to do some exciting stuff,

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. kishmbee

kishmbee Bit Poster

Thats true mat, Its imprudent to leave the current position and going somewhere else. Increase in salary is a good motivation. But, if it not going to make you happy then you must think again. Happiness is more important than money.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

There is no sure fire way for you to know if the new role is going to be any better and it's my firm belief that you need to be in a role that you enjoy rather than being in one purely for the money (take it from a guy who took an approximate £30k annual drop in money when he moved from contracting to perm).

My perm role obviously doesn't pay me anywhere near what I would get as a contractor BUT the variety of work is exciting. Oh and I should add that I also spend 5+ hours a day commuting as well. I am now involved in some very good projects (involving virtualisation, orchestration (for patch management) and data center migrations) as well as my existing Windows Security work, some people look at me like I am mad for the drop in salary and long commutes but in all honesty I do it because I like the work.

If you can't survive on the salary you're currently being paid then obviously you need to move on but if you can afford to live on what's been offered then what's the problem (work out what the difference is between the 21k you want and the 20.5k on offer, over the year that amount is going to be pretty small really).

I have made the mistake where I have moved roles due to money and it really didn't work out too well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I would like more money (who wouldn't), and I agree the difference between 20.5 and 21 is minimal but it just didn't really seem like enough, so I would still be open to a new job. I wouldn't just jump at the first job offered, but I would certainly consider it and mention it to my current employers.
    The virtualisation project would go on for... well no idea as long as it takes I guess :) but as I want to get into virtualisation I definitely think it would be a good idea to stick around until I have kicked that off, but it is all still a bit iffy at the moment. Perhaps an ideal would be to find a company who do virtualisation projects for external clients... Will have to just see what comes in I guess!

8. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Quick update... Have applied for a3 or 4 jobs, been offered 2 interviews already! Had the first one today, think it went quite well, I did 'better than expected' on the technical test, and I think it would be a good place to work, will hopefully find out tomorrow :)

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate. Sounds like you have taken the job you are in as far as you can take it. Best to look around and see what’s out there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Coming to the party late on this one - but well done for securing the interviews it shows your in demand, and they like what they initially see.

My thoughts would be don't move for the money, but the experience. I'm looking at a 20% drop in salary for a job I've just applied for internally (I won't get any telephone standby money nor overtime to start with - and have to assume I won't either, to assume anything else is foolhardy IMHO), but the experience that it'll give me will be massive. 2/3 years down the line, plenty more certs to my name and hopefully a great 2/3 years experience on some hardcore tech :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Well another update... Got a call this afternoon, been offered the job, at the money I asked for :) so still a bit shocked! so they will have a shock next week in my place!

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations and good luck with the new role. You have worked hard and deserve the outcome of your efforts and determination. Keep us upto date with the new role and how you're getting on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congtrats on the move and wage rise. Fun part now is what to spend it on :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! Sounds like you made a good decision.. Good luck in your new role!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

A bit late on this one. Don't accept the job straightaway. Go into work and tell them about the whole thing and see if they make a counter offer. Don't threaten them with it either otherwise they'll just tell you to leave.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi nugget, well I provisionally accepted (if there is such a thing) so they would send me through the job offer, with that then (picking it up after work, the place is pretty much next door) I will go to my boss and show him - i think they may make an offer, but I think it would be a bit bittersweet as I have been asking for 4 months about the raise I am supposed to receive, so if they suddenly turn round and say oh well you can have it now, shows what they think of me... Also, bearing in mind they countered my 2k payrise amount with a 1.5k, I would be amazed if they stretched anywhere near the 4k increase!
    I want to keep it amicable, they are a nice bunch of people, but I think, as someone said further up, I have gone as far as I can in this job, and looking forward to moving up in the world :)