Motorola PTP 500 or similar PTP Solution

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Colloghi, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with the above technologies, and could provide a objective review of the device above.

Link here

PTP 500 Series - Motorola Solutions USA

Were looking at implementing this between 2 office locations which need to be on the same network, and will have a lot of data, email going across with VOIP etc. The device seems perfect for what we need, but ive not seen any real reviews of the hardware yet?

Must be someone out there:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I can't give any info on this exact model, but we use the PTP-600 model between two platforms in the North Sea. Work very well there, so i'm sure from offices will be fine. We had VOIP running over it no issues (also supports 802.1Q).

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers Daniel

I did actually look at the PTP 600 model, seemed a bit overkill for what we need but the 500lite seems fine. I take it, you havnt had any downtime with the link? and you get decent speed?

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I've been on a bootcamp for the PTP250 in which 60% of the time there was actually spent discussing the 500 :S !?
    What would you like to know?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Apologies for bringing up an old Thread but never got around to updating this............

We implemented the 500 model and it worked brilliantly. Internet speed in the remote site was identical to the main site, and we ended up running AVAYA IP phones, Sage200, and other stuff over the network with no issues even in bad weather. There was no line of sight between the two buildings due other buildings with chimneys, and distance was around 300 meters. The PTP 500 works by bouncing the signals around the obstacles, and Ive been told has sucessfully been deployed to provide a wireless conenction between 2 buildsings that are on the o[pposite side of the empire state building.

The conenction was up and running within a day, and pretty much was plug into network at main site, plug into network at remote site............very impressed and would recommend!